WEEK OF 2016-03-18
Your weekly newsletter for the latest and greatest about all things Canvas!
This Day In History: St. Patrick's Day
The history of Saint Patrick's day dates back to the 17th Century, where it became an official Christian holiday. This holiday celebrates the death of Saint Patrick, who was the patron saint of Ireland, and involves such festivities as public parades, the wearing of shamrocks, as well as green or orange attire. However, there are a few lesser known facts about this holiday that people may not be aware of:
- The first St. Patrick’s Day parade took place in New York City in 1762
- St. Patrick was not Irish; rather he was raised in a well-to-do Roman family in modern day England
- During the American Civil War, both the Union and Confederacy had whole brigades made up entirely of Irishmen
- Until 1970, St. Patrick’s day was a "dry" holiday in Ireland
- The shamrock is not the national emblem of Ireland; it is the harp.
In this production release (March 12), Canvas includes changes to several feature areas designed to improve user accessibility. Instructors can differentiate assignments by groups and improve their course workflows with changes to the To Do list, Thin Common Cartridge imports, and Quiz previews. Admins can also specify courses as a blended format for reporting purposes.
In this release, Commons has updates for the Share page and the Resource Details page.
In this Catalog release, admins can add tags to a new or existing listing, and the User Registrations API supports registering user accounts.
In this Canvas by Instructure update students can view grades by grading period and multiple choice quiz questions are natively supported.
Canvas Events: InstructureCON, CanvasCONs and More!
What is InstructureCon?
It’s a conference held annually for people throughout the world who use and love Canvas or who would like to use Canvas. Our Learning Management System here at Instructure has been rocking the Higher Ed and K-12 Communities throughout the world. InstructureCon is where everyone comes together to share experiences, be taught new features and updates, where everyone is fed a wealth of Canvas knowledge, connections are made and networking is easy, and where SWAG is abundant. It’s a hoot, and well worth the time and money!
For information about our epic InstructureCon visit www.canvaslms.com/news/instructurecon.
Keep up to date with CanvasCons in your area, as well as other highlighted events from Instructure at our events page in the Community:
Canvas User Groups
MAGIC - Mid-Atlantic Group Instructing with Canvas
University of Mary Washington
Saturday, April 30th, 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM
Please click here to register and for more information. Regular registration will close on 04/15/2016.
|Canvas Training Courses|
NEW TRAININGS ARE HERE!
Whether you're a veteran to Canvas or have just joined us for the first time, please take a minute to check out our Canvas Training Subscription Description.
It's subscription based and jam-packed with hands-on activities that you'll agree are totally awesome. A comprehensive list of the courses available for BOTH Canvas Admins and Instructors can be found HERE.
Higher Ed Collective
The More You Know!
Here at Instructure, we want our service to not only be a differentiator, but also to provide unique value. With the recent release of Canvas Data, we're able to offer you, our client partners, additional insight into your institution's Canvas usage. To enable that, we've created a new service we're calling the Executive Business Review (EBR). EBRs will be delivered by your CSM free of charge. They'll include new account-level analytics such as how many courses are regularly accessed by students, which features and LTIs are most used, and much more.
Please join us for a free webinar on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 at 12pm MST. This webinar will be presented by a member of our Product Engagement team and will go into further detail of what you can expect from an Executive Business Review.
March 30, 2016 at 12:00pm MST
Meeting number: 801 066 154
Meeting password: webinar
1-650-479-3208 Call-in toll number (US/Canada)
Access code: 801 066 154
K12 Bulletin Board
Your Canvas K12 Priority Service teams are excited to announce the next installment of our K12 Assembly Webinar:
Canvas + Google = MAGIC!
Featuring Jeremy Perkins, who is one of our top Canvas trainers.
Jeremy Perkins has spent exactly zero hours training as a magician. However, he does know how to make magic happen when using Google within Canvas. Jeremy is Instructure's most senior trainer, and before working for Instructure, he was a Middle School technology teacher. He is proficient in multiple languages, including nerd, and used to play sports before Instructure fattened him up.
Take Away Highlights:
1. Embedding Google Docs/Google Slides/Google Sheets
2. Using the HTML Editor
3. Enabling Google Doc Submissions
Tips and Tricks
Our new UI (User Interface) goes live for every client on July 9, 2016. If you want to brand your instance to represent your school colors and logo, start by playing with the theme editor when you log in. If you notice that you are having issues with the preview not keeping your changes, make sure that the “high contrast UI” feature is turned off under the admin settings. This will prevent custom branding. You can even brand specific sub-accounts (if you have multiple schools in your district using Canvas). Check out our Community page here to learn how: community.canvaslms.com.
Top Ten Guides: March 6-March 12, 2016
Jive Analytics (guides.canvaslms.com)
- How do I find my institution's URL to access Canvas apps on my mobile device?
- Which browsers does Canvas support?
- How do upload changes to the Gradebook?
- How do I submit an online assignment?
- How do I view assignment feedback comments from my instructor using Crocodoc annotations?
- How do I set my Notification Preferences?
- How do I submit a peer review to an Assignment?
- How do I submit a Turnitin Assignment?
- How do I know if I have a peer review Assignment to complete?
- How do I upload a file as an Assignment submission in Canvas?
Google Analytics (guides.instructure.com)
- How do I clear my browser cache on a Mac? (Admin)
- Which browsers does Canvas support? (Admin)
- How do I submit an online assignment? (Student)
- How do I submit a peer review to an Assignment? (Student)
- How do I change my login password? (Student)
- How do I submit a Turnitin Assignment? (Student)
- How do I edit my Profile? (Student)
- How do I subscribe to the Calendar Feed using Google Calendar? (Student)
- What are the basic computer specifications for Canvas? (Admin)
- How do I upload a file as an Assignment submission in Canvas? (Student)