WEEK OF 2016-04-01-2016
Your weekly newsletter for the latest and greatest about all things Canvas!
This Day In History: April Fools Day
April Fools’ Day can be traced as far back as April 1, 1700, and has always been a day of playing joke’s on one another, whether good or bad.
There have been many rumors surrounding April Fools’ Day and how it came about. Its origins still remain a mystery. Here are several points about the day that you might find interesting.
1) The speculation about the origins of the holiday began in 1582 when the French switched from the Julian Calendar to the Gregorian Calendar. There were several people who did not adapt to the new changes, and thus were fooled on certain dates.
2) Another idea about the origins of the day comes from ancient Rome during the festival of Hilaria, which was celebrated at the end of March during the transition from Winter to Spring. The phrase that was coined there was “Mother Nature fooled people with changing, unpredictable weather.” She is a tricky lady!
In this production release (April 2), admins can manage courses in their accounts with a new storage report, manage users with two permission changes, and edit global announcements. They are also notified when they are using the Theme Editor with High Contrast Styles. Instructors can view calculation improvements in the Gradebook and Quizzes, access student analytics directly from the People page, and more accurately reply to group comments in SpeedGrader. All users benefit from improvements to Notifications and the Assignments submission details page.
In this Catalog release, the student dashboard provides access to student transcripts, and listings support decimal values in course credit fields.
Canvas Events: InstructureCON, CanvasCONs and More!
What is InstructureCon?
It’s a conference held annually for people throughout the world who use and love Canvas or who would like to use Canvas. Our Learning Management System here at Instructure has been rocking the Higher Ed and K-12 Communities throughout the world. InstructureCon is where everyone comes together to share experiences, be taught new features and updates, where everyone is fed a wealth of Canvas knowledge, connections are made and networking is easy, and where SWAG is abundant. It’s a hoot, and well worth the time and money!
For information about our epic InstructureCon visit www.canvaslms.com/news/instructurecon.
Keep up to date with CanvasCons in your area, as well as other highlighted events from Instructure at our events page in the Community:
Canvas User Groups
MAGIC - Mid-Atlantic Group Instructing with Canvas
University of Mary Washington
Saturday, April 30th, 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM
Please click here to register and for more information. Regular registration will close on 04/15/2016.
NERCOMP's Canvas User Group will be held in Norwood, MA on June 6th and will be primarily focused on implementation, data and analytics, support & training and Canvas customization.
Dartmouth's Canvas Roundtable will be held in Hanover, NH on Friday, August 12th and will give us a chance to follow up on the questions and ideas raised earlier in the summer, as well as share best practices on course design and network with other Canvas administrators and users.
If you need more information before submitting your idea(s), please contact Peter Testori regarding the NERCOMP Canvas User Group (email@example.com) or Pat Coogan (firstname.lastname@example.org ) for Dartmouth's Canvas Roundtable.
Higher Ed Collective
The More You Know!
Did you miss our recent webinar? Not a problem! Please click on the link below to download the webinar discussing our new Executive Business Reviews (EBR) service. EBRs will be delivered by your CSM free of charge. They'll include new account-level analytics such as how many courses are regularly accessed by students, which features and LTIs are most used, and much more.
Download Recording Link:
K12 Bulletin Board
The Spring 2016 Canvas Admin Survey officially closes on !
As a company, the data we collect is used to drive the growth and improvement of our Customer Success, Support, Product, and Engineering groups to create the best experience for your institution. We strive to do our best as CSMs to support you with your journey using Canvas.
K12 Community Group Connect with K12 Canvas Users from around the world!
Top Ten Guides: March 20-26, 2016
Jive Analytics (guides.canvaslms.com)
- How do I find my institution's URL to access Canvas apps on my mobile device?
- Which browsers does Canvas support?
- How do I submit a Turnitin Assignment?
- How do I submit an online assignment?
- How do upload changes to the Gradebook?
- What are Profile and User Settings?
- How do I set my Notification Preferences?
- How do I take a Quiz?
- How do I edit my Profile?
- What are Discussions for students?
Google Analytics (guides.instructure.com)
- How do I clear my browser cache on a Mac? (Admin)
- Which browsers does Canvas support? (Admin)
- How do I submit an online assignment? (Student)
- How do I change my login password? (Student)
- How do I submit a peer review to an Assignment? (Student)
- How do I edit my Profile? (Student)
- How do I submit a Turnitin Assignment? (Student)
- How do I add a Profile picture? (Instructor)
- How do I upload a file as an Assignment submission in Canvas? (Student)
- How do I subscribe to the Calendar Feed using Google Calendar? (Student)