WEEK OF 2016-06-08
Your weekly newsletter for the latest and greatest about all things Canvas!
This Day In History: June 10, 1752
This Day in History: June 10, 1752
On this day in 1752, Dr. Benjamin Franklin flew his kite during a thunderstorm. He was able to collect an electrical change into a Leyden jar, which was a small jar designed to retain static electricity. It stored electricity and could then be used as basically a battery.
By collecting electricity from the lighting bolt, Franklin was able demonstrate the electrical nature of lighting which was largely unknown during his lifetime.
Franklin was also the one who coined such terms as an electrician and battery. He also invented the first lightning rod for buildings to protect them from lightning strikes.
In this production release (June 4), instructors can differentiate inactive student submissions in SpeedGrader; they also experience a minor change in functionality when assigning students to a moderated assignment. Admins can view excused assignment grade changes in the Grade Change Log, view the names of developer keys in a user’s page views, and take quizzes if they are enrolled in a course as a student. Several other small changes have been made to various feature areas.
Canvas Events: InstructureCON
InstructureCON 2016: For information visit www.canvaslms.com/news/instructurecon
Tips and Tricks
Update the Syllabus Page
The Syllabus page provides you with a tool to organize all of your graded activities and events into one place. Any time you create an assignment, activity, or calendar item with a due date in Canvas, it will automatically populate in the Syllabus tool. It also provides an easy way for your students to locate the Syllabus!
Post your Course Syllabus to the Syllabus tool as a file. Try converting your file to PDF format first, but Word doc format is completely acceptable.
Add Available and Due dates to your assignments and other graded activities. Adding these dates will help organize the list of graded activities and events auto-populated in the Syllabus tool.
Higher Ed Collective
During the month of June 2016, CanvasLIVE will temporarily go DARK, with programming on-hold so you can help us design and facilitate all new activities!
The new vision is that CanvasLIVE will be: "An engaging place for real-time activities offered for the community, by the community."
Please join a public discussion about CanvasLIVE by clicking:
- "Share Your Ideas"
- Offer feedback about past CanvasLIVE programs by clicking "Take The Survey"
- Help us build a new CanvasLIVE space by clicking "Join The Focus Group"
K12 Bulletin Board: ISTE is Here!!
Top Ten Guides: May 29 - June 4, 2016
Jive Analytics (guides.canvaslms.com)
- How do I find my institution's URL to access Canvas apps on my mobile device?
- Which browsers does Canvas support?
- Canvas Overview (Students) [Video]
- Canvas Interface Overview (Instructors) [Video]
- What is the New Canvas User Interface?
- How do I set my Notification Preferences?
- How do I submit an online assignment?
- How do I add a Profile picture?
- User Settings and Profile Picture (All Users) [Video]
- How do I sign up for a Canvas account as a student?
Google Analytics (guides.instructure.com)
- How do I clear my browser cache on a Mac? (Admin)
- Which browsers does Canvas support? (Admin)
- How do I submit an online assignment? (Student)
- Canvas Overview (Video)
- How do I view my Canvas courses? (Student)
- How do I sign up for a Canvas account as a student? (Student)
- How do I submit a peer review to an Assignment? (Student)
- How do I change my login password? (Student)
- What are the basic computer specifications for Canvas? (Admin)
- How do I view Turnitin results for my assignment submission? (Student)