WEEK OF 2016-06-17
Your weekly newsletter for the latest and greatest about all things Canvas!
This Day In History: June 17, 1885
On this day in 1885, the dismantled Statue of Liberty, a gift of friendship from the people of France to the people of America, arrived in New York Harbor after being shipped across the Atlantic Ocean in 350 individual pieces packed in more than 200 cases. The copper and iron statue has become known around the world as an enduring symbol of freedom and democracy.
The Statue of Liberty was designed by French sculptor Frederic-Auguste Bartholdi (who modeled it after his own mother), with assistance from engineer Gustave Eiffel, who later developed...you guessed it...the Eiffel Tower. The statue alone cost the French an estimated $250,000 (more than $5.5 million today). The statue was intended to commemorate the American Revolution and a century of friendship between the US and France.
After being reassembled, the 450,000-pound statue was official dedicated on October 28, 1886, by President Cleveland, who said, "We will not forget that Liberty has here made her home; nor shall her chosen altar be neglected." At the time, this structure was taller than any other in New York City. The statue was originally a copper-color, but over the years it underwent a natural color-change process called patination that produced its current greenish-blue hue.
Today, the Statue of Liberty is one of America's most famous landmarks. Over the years, it has been the site of political rallies and protests (from suffragettes to anti-war activists), has been featured in numerous movies and countless photographs, and has received millions of visitors from around the world.
In this beta release, Canvas has new features in the Theme Editor. Feature updates are available in Account Settings, Courses, Reports, and SIS Imports, and other changes have been made in Grades, Notifications, Rubrics, and Canvas APIs.
Canvas Events: InstructureCON
InstructureCON 2016: For information visit www.canvaslms.com/news/instructurecon
Tips and Tricks
Is there something you wish Canvas had? Like...more games for K-3, graph builders, or a plagiarism checker? Don’t fret and check out our EduAppCenter HERE to see the many LTI external tools and third party apps that we integrate with. You will be happy you did.
Higher Ed Collective
During the month of June 2016, CanvasLIVE will temporarily go DARK, with programming on-hold so you can help us design and facilitate all new activities!
The new vision is that CanvasLIVE will be: "An engaging place for real-time activities offered for the community, by the community."
Please join a public discussion about CanvasLIVE by clicking:
- "Share Your Ideas"
- Offer feedback about past CanvasLIVE programs by clicking "Take The Survey"
- Help us build a new CanvasLIVE space by clicking "Join The Focus Group"
K12 Bulletin Board
Headed to InstructureCon? Not sure what to expect? Please join us for our next installment of the K12 Assembly Webinar Series: “What to Expect When Expecting InstructureCon” hosted by none other than the wonderful Jackie Burrell, Director of Events.
1-877-668-4493 Call-in toll-free number (US/Canada)
1-650-479-3208 Call-in toll number (US/Canada)
Access code: 809 796 898
Top Ten Guides: June 5 - June 11, 2016
Jive Analytics (guides.canvaslms.com)
- How do I find my institution's URL to access Canvas apps on my mobile device?
- Which browsers does Canvas support?
- Canvas Overview (Students) [Video]
- Canvas Interface Overview (Instructors) [Video]
- How do I set my Notification Preferences?
- How do I submit an online assignment?
- How do I reply to a Discussion as a student?
- How do I sign up for a Canvas account as a student?
- How do I edit my Profile?
- How do I add a Profile picture?
Google Analytics (guides.instructure.com)
- Which browsers does Canvas support? (Admin)
- How do I clear my browser cache on a Mac? (Admin)
- How do I submit an online assignment? (Student)
- How do I change my login password? (Student)
- What are the basic computer specifications for Canvas? (Admin)
- How do I submit a peer review to an Assignment? (Student)
- Canvas Overview (Video)
- How do I sign up for a Canvas account as a student? (Student)
- How do I upload a file as an Assignment submission in Canvas? (Student)
- How do I view my Canvas courses? (Student)