WEEK OF 2016-08-12
Your weekly newsletter for the latest and greatest about all things Canvas!
This Day In History: Sue the T-rex
On this day in history, August 12, 1990, Sue, the Tyrannosaurus rex was found in South Dakota by Sue Hendrickson, who worked for the Black Hills Institute of Geological Research.
Sue found "her" in Faith, South Dakota, and this T-rex was "part of the largest-ever Tyrannosaurus rex skeleton ever discovered, [and was] a 65 million-year-old specimen." Although this find, as it was preserved so well, enabled scientists to determine many things about the T-rex and how this species lived, they could not determine the skeleton's gender, so she'll remain a she for now.
In this production release (August 6), admins can view a report for grading periods, enable federated attributes in SAML authentication, and view the base role type for an enrollment in the Provisioning report. Admins can also enable the Submissions Folder feature option, which copies student submissions into a read-only folder in a student’s User Files page.
Instructors can exclude assignments from a student’s final grade and save comments as drafts in SpeedGrader. This release also brings a SpeedGrader interface update for instructors, though no functionality has been affected. Instructors can also view submissions for inactive and concluded enrollments in SpeedGrader according to the visibility settings in the Gradebook.
Users who can view Pages and the Syllabus may notice an improvement to the Rich Content Editor sidebar. This enhancement is being enabled on a per-account basis by Canvas engineers and may already be enabled for your institution. The Rich Content Editor also supports the track tag for caption files.
Canvas Events: CanvasCON and User Groups
Please click here to register.
Don’t mess with Texas! UT Austin is hosting the Texas Canvas User Group (TCUG) conference this year in Austin, November 10th-11th, 2016. If you are an admin or instructor in Texas, click the link above to register for this awesome user conference.
Tip and Tricks: New Canvas Parent App
Thank you for your interest in the new Parent App from Canvas! If you'd like to use the new app, you will need to enable it at the Account Settings Level of Canvas.
Navigate to Settings, then Feature Options and toggle "Canvas Parent" to on. This will add your institution to available schools in the parent app. In order to align with students, parents will need the login information (login email, or name and the students password).
Here is a helpful mobile guides on Parent App: Mobile Guides - Canvas Parent-Canvas Community
The Canvas Parent app is the mobile version of Canvas that helps parents stay up-to-date with their student's courses. Download the Canvas Parent app on Android and iOS devices.
Please note: The desktop observer role accounts and the Canvas Parent App are separate, and both have some amazing features for parents to interact with their children's education.
K12 Bullentin Board: Study Hall Webinar Recording
K12 Study Hall: Unpacking the Classroom for Admins Recording
Welcome back to school! Following up last year ‘Packing up the Classroom’ we will revisit the series with administrator and teacher tasks for the beginning of the school year. The thirty minute webinar will cover course imports, Commons, term date and multiple grading periods. Click the link below to hear the recording!
Top Ten Guides: July 31 - August 6, 2016
Jive Analytics (guides.canvaslms.com)
- How do I find my institution's URL to access Canvas apps on my mobile device?
- Which browsers does Canvas support?
- Canvas Interface Overview (Instructors) [Video]
- Canvas Overview (Students) [Video]
- How do I import content from another Canvas course?
- How do I set my Canvas notification preferences?
- How do I use the Dashboard?
- How do I submit an online assignment?
- What are the basic computer specifications for Canvas?
- How do I edit my profile in my user account?
Google Analytics (guides.canvaslms.com)
- How do I clear my browser cache on a Mac? (Admin)
- Which browsers does Canvas support? (Admin)
- How do I change my login password? (Student)
- How do I submit a peer review to an Assignment? (Student)
- How do I import content from another Canvas course? (Instructor)
- How do I submit an online assignment? (Student)
- Canvas Overview (Video)
- How do I subscribe to the Calendar Feed using Google Calendar? (Student)
- What are the basic computer specifications for Canvas? (Admin)
- How do I sign up for a Canvas account as a student? (Student)