WEEK OF 2016-09-09
Your weekly newsletter for the latest and greatest about all things Canvas!
This Day In History: The First Computer Bug
The First Computer Bug!! Literally…
On September 9, 1945, the first computer bug was found. “Operators at the Harvard Faculty at the Computation Laboratory traced an error in the Mark II Computer to a moth trapped in a relay, coining the term bug.” They removed the bug and taped it to their research notes.
In this beta release, Canvas has updated features for Course Settings, the Gradebook, Notifications, Quizzes, and SpeedGrader. Other updates have been made in the Canvas Interface and the Rich Content Editor, as well as in Canvas APIs.
Canvas Events: CanvasCONs and User Groups
New Jersey CanvasCON
Where: New Jersey at The College of New Jersey
When: October 10, 2016
We would love to hear some presentation proposals!
Call for Proposal Form - Call for Proposals -- TCNJ 2016
Don’t mess with Texas! UT Austin is hosting the Texas Canvas User Group (TCUG) conference this year in Austin, November 10th-11th, 2016. If you are an admin or instructor in Texas, click the link above to register for this awesome user conference.
Higher Ed Collective
What's New in Canvas Webinar
Miss out on our recent webinar? Check out the link below to the recording of What's New in Canvas (Fall 2016).
This webinar highlights:
- Concluded/Inactive Enrollment Settings in Canvas & SpeedGrader
- New SpeedGrader Interface Changes and Comment Drafts
- How to make sense of Assignment settings that are Not Graded, Not Counted, Not for Points
- Recent Canvas for iOS & Android Mobile App updates
- Changes Made in Canvas Commons
- How to setup a cool image for your Course on the Dashboard
- The all new Canvas Parent App
K12 Bullentin Board
Recommended Webinar of the WEEK!
“How do you prepare graduating students with the right learning tools needed to succeed in Higher Ed? And how do you help them continue to succeed? Presenters from both Harvard University and Phillips Academy, Andover answer these questions while sharing strategies on how to drive better adoption and usage of learning tools as well as what has and has not worked for them when adopting an LMS.”
Sign-in to Watch the Webinar: HERE
Top Ten Guides: August 28-September 3, 2016
Jive Analytics (guides.canvaslms.com)
- How do I find my institution's URL to access Canvas apps on my mobile device?
- Which browsers does Canvas support?
- Canvas Interface Overview (Instructors) [Video]
- Canvas Overview (Students) [Video]
- How do I submit an online assignment?
- How do I set my Canvas notification preferences?
- User Settings and Profile Picture (All Users) [Video]
- How do I reply to a discussion as a student?
- How do I sign up for a Canvas account as a student?
- How do I add contact methods to receive Canvas notifications?
Google Analytics (guides.instructure.com)
- Which browsers does Canvas support? (Admin)
- How do I submit an online assignment? (Student)
- How do I add a profile picture in my user account? (Instructor)
- How do I clear my browser cache on a Mac? (Admin)
- How do I sign up for a Canvas account as a student? (Student)
- How do I upload a file as an assignment submission in Canvas? (Student)
- How do I set my Canvas notification preferences? (Instructor)
- Canvas Overview (Video)
- How do I record a video using the Rich Content Editor? (Instructor)
- How do I sign up for a Canvas account as a parent? (Observer)