WEEK OF 2017-03-17
Your weekly newsletter for the latest and greatest about all things Canvas!
Quizzes.Next is a best-in-breed assessment engine that enables instructors to capture meaningful and actionable data to positively affect the instructional process. Designed with simplicity in mind, this tool empowers instructors and learners to move toward growth in learning. Development for Quizzes.Next is underway! This is a huge project, so we appreciate your patience!
If you are excited for Quizzes.Next, please:
- Sign Up for Quizzes.Next Beta Phase II
- The testing experience will tentatively open April 18 to May 26, 2017.
- Converse and vote on these: Related Ideas
- This project is not actively seeking new ideas, but if you have an awesome one that hasn't already been submitted, we'd like to hear it! You can submit new Here. Be sure to #tag your idea with: quizzes.next_new
Canvas User Conferences
InstructureCON 2017 Registration is open! Find out all the details by clicking here!
InstructureCON 2017 Call For Proposals!
Why settle for being an attendee at the greatest conference in EdTech when you can be famous as a presenter!? Select the link below to learn more on being a presenter at InstructureCON 2017!
Make sure you mark your calendars, do a happy dance, and register for CanvasCon USF on Monday, April 10th, 2017! This is the perfect way to kick-start the week with a full day of learning, laughing, networking, and fun! No Monday blues allowed! REGISTER NOW!
This one-day, regional conference is designed specifically for the Canvas user & the Canvas curious. It will feature presentations from higher ed and K-12 educators, innovators, and thought leaders from your neck of the woods.
Session highlights include:
- Strategies for LMS migration and faculty adoption
- Ways to use and share open resources
- Tools for assessments and analytics
- Tips for best-in-class course design
- And much, much more!
Monday, April 10th, 2017
8 AM – 6 PM
$49 – Breakfast, lunch & cocktail reception included!
University of South Florida
Marshall Student Center
4102 USF Cedar Cir, Tampa, FL
Please join us for our 2017 CanvasCon at IUPUI! CanvasCon is a one-day, regional event that we’ve specifically designed for our midwestern educators. Everyone is invited, from the Canvas-curious to the expert user! REGISTER NOW!
We’ll discuss hot topics trending in the Ed tech world and host Canvas-specific sessions. We’ve jam-packed the agenda with awesome sessions from educators, innovators, and thought leaders in both Higher Education and K12. There will be separate tracks for Higher Ed and K12, and plenty of ed-tech goodness—new skills and techniques, networking, collaboration, idea-sharing, and other fun—for Canvas users and non-Canvas users alike. We promise there’s something for everyone! Join us for a full day of learning and awesomeness or risk suffering in everlasting FOMO.
June 12th 9 AM - 4 PM
IUPUI Campus Center- 4th Floor (420 University Blvd, Indianapolis) Cost: $49
Canvas User Groups
Mid-Atlantic Group Instructing with Canvas
Join us for the third annual MAGIC conference at Howard Community College in Columbia, Maryland.
Call for Proposals are being accepted through March 8, 2017. Please visit www.canvasmagic.org for CFP and to Register for the event.
NERCOMP Canvas User Group
On Monday, June 12th NERCOMP will be hosting it’s Annual Canvas User Group in Norwood, MA!
The NERCOMP Canvas User Group works to provide New England area Canvas folks a professional development experience each summer and we need your help! Our call for proposals will ensure that you have a voice in our Canvas learning this year! Submit your idea(s) here if you’re interested in sharing with your Canvas colleagues in June at the NERCOMP Canvas User Group.
Extending the Efficacy of the Learning Management System: Integrating Tools to Enhance Learning Online
Learning management systems (LMS) such as Blackboard and Canvas provide a foundation for instructors to design online learning experiences. In recent years, the functionality of most LMSs has expanded to offer more flexibility, primarily by allowing external tools to be integrated. Tools such as Twitter, YouTube, and Quizlet have the potential to increase learners’ access to content, foster interaction with others in the community, and assess learning in diverse ways. In this session, we will provide examples of how these tools can support sound pedagogical practices, and encourage attendees to explore integrations in their online courses. Specifically, an instructor shares experiences of utilizing several integration tools within Canvas online courses.
Participants who attend the session will learn about...
- how the LMS has changed over time to support more robust set of tools
- how these tools can support sound pedagogical practices and encourage attendees to explore integrations in their online courses.
Click here to register!
Top Ten Guides: March 5-March 11, 2017
- The lists stayed similar to last week.
- The total views were lower compared to last week, possibly because of spring break for some schools.
- How do I find my institution's URL to access Canvas apps on my mobile device?
- Which browsers does Canvas support?
- How do I submit an online assignment?
- Canvas Overview (Students) [Video]
- How do I set my Canvas notification preferences?
- How do I upload changes to the Gradebook?
- How do I add contact methods to receive Canvas notifications?
- How do I submit a Turnitin assignment?
- How do I edit my profile in my user account?
- How do I send a message to a user in a course in Conversations?