WEEK OF 2016-12-09
Your weekly newsletter for the latest and greatest about all things Canvas!
Announcement: Canvas Network Educator Catalog
Canvas Network recently launched the Educator Catalog. In this catalog, administrators, teachers, and instructional designers can find FREE professional development courses ranging from data privacy to using Canvas analytics in course design. There are currently 25 courses with more to come.
A few course suggestions:
- (K-12/HE) Canvas Course Design Lab: Add Flair to Your Canvas Course - Canvas Network | Free online courses | MOOCs
- Canvas Network | Free online courses | MOOCs
- (HE) Designing and Teaching for Impact in Online Courses - Canvas Network | Free online courses | MOOCs
- (HE) Analytics in Course Design: Leveraging Canvas Data - Canvas Network | Free online courses | MOOCs
Important Update on Canvas Commons
AN IMPORTANT UPDATE TO CANVAS COMMONS IS COMING JANUARY 3, 2017
On January 3, 2017, Canvas Commons will automatically update and be switched from off to on. If you haven’t used Commons yet, we urge you to check it out—we’re a little biased, but it’s pretty cool. Commons is a learning object repository that enables educators to find, import, and share resources. A digital library full of educational content, Commons allows Canvas users to share learning resources with other users as well as import learning resources into a Canvas course.
Here’s what you can do with Commons:
• Create a personal learning object repository
• Build a course from scratch with relevant materials shared by other Canvas users
• Create a name for yourself and your institution as a subject matter expert
If you have any questions or don't wish to have Commons on, please contact your CSM directly.
Canvas Release Notes
In this production release (December 10), admins can set grading period start dates to 12:00 AM, find courses by sort options, and view terms by active and past terms.
Instructors using grading periods have additional close date verifications in assignments and the Gradebook. Users with instructor roles can also receive group announcement notifications without being enrolled in a course group and can automatically assign groups by section in the People page.
For all users who have customized their Courses list, Canvas automatically adds all new enrollments as a favorite.
Users who can manage Outcomes will notice a placement change for the Manage Rubrics button. All users will also notice small updates in Files and in Rich Content Editor links, as well as a global font update throughout Canvas.
Turnitin API Deprecation: December 31st
On December 31, Turnitin will discontinue the Canvas API integration and will only support the LTI integration. If you are a Canvas admin whose institution is using Turnitin and have not yet enabled the Turnitin LTI for your account, please contact your Turnitin account representative for your external app credentials. The Turnitin LTI can be configured for your account as shown in the External App URL lesson. For additional questions, please see the Turnitin Canvas integration page or contact your Canvas Customer Success Manager.
Canvas Authentication Passwords: January 7
On January 7, passwords for Canvas authentication will require eight characters instead of six characters. Institutions using other external authentication methods will not be affected. The eight-character length requirement only applies when a user creates a new password or resets a password. Existing six- and seven-character passwords will not be affected unless the password needs to be changed or reset.
Canvas User Conferences
InstructureCON 2017 Call For Proposals!
Why settle for being an attendee at the greatest conference in EdTech when you can be famous as a presenter!? Select the link below to learn more on being a presenter at InstructureCON 2017!
Canvas Feature Requests
Check out the top five feature requests currently open for voting!
K12 Study Hall: Individualized Learning with Mastery Paths
This K12 Study Hall we will dive deeper into Mastery Paths, the strategies and possible hangups you may have encountered or would like to address. Canvas Mastery Paths delivers different learning experiences to students based on how they perform on a course activity to improve learning outcomes.
Tuesday, December 13, 2016 at https://bluejeans.com/8929549791/
Starts at 10:00 AM · Ends at 11:00 AM, MST (America/Denver)
Top Ten Guides: November 27 - December 3, 2016
Jive Analytics (guides.canvaslms.com)
- How do I find my institution's URL to access Canvas apps on my mobile device?
- Which browsers does Canvas support?
- How do I add contact methods to receive Canvas notifications?
- How do I submit an online assignment?
- How do I upload changes to the Gradebook?
- How do I set my Canvas notification preferences?
- What are Announcements?
- Canvas Overview (Students) [Video]
- How do I submit a Turnitin assignment?
- How do I copy content from another Canvas course?