Our June-August Nudge experiment was a success! So now we are opening up the experiment again for a much larger test. Read below for details and signup.
Nudge is a prototype service that helps students effectively manage their time and coursework. This service is the first step in a longer term smart messaging vision for Canvas. When enabled in a course, Nudge sends the following messages to students through Canvas:
- Upcoming Assignments: An assignment is due in the next 24 hours and the student hasn’t turned it in yet. Prompt them to turn it in / finish.
- Late Assignments: An assignment deadline has passed and the student has not turned it in. Prompt them to check if they can submit late.
- Course Checking: The student has not checked the course for more than a week. Prompt them to visit the home page for any updates.
- Weekly Report: Every week send students a list of assignments/quizzes that are due that week.
Because feedback and data are core to our development process, we are reaching out to the community for this pilot. The current version of Nudge is experimental and in early development; iteration is expected as the experiment progresses.
Any course that enables Nudge will provide us with insight into the effect of “nudging” different students in different ways. We also value feedback about the user experience and effectiveness of these reminders from your perspective as an instructor.
Your course may be a good fit for pilot if it fits the following criteria:
- Blended or fully online courses
- History of teaching the same course in prior semesters
- Have a course beginning August/September 2018
- Make use of multiple assignments throughout a course
- English is the primary language of instruction
- Multiple sections of the same course (nice to have, but not necessary)
Privacy Notice: Canvas is committed to keeping you and your student’s personal information private. All participants will be able to opt out at any time. Any and all use of the data from this experiment will be used to make Canvas a better product and not shared publicly without express prior consent.
The Volunteer Window has closed. Watch the CanvasX space of the Canvas Studio for future summaries and opportunities.
If you successfully signed up you should get a message in Canvas later this week confirming that you are going to be participating. Nudges will then start being sent next Monday (Aug 27th)!
Have questions? Leave them below.