This will be a true escape the room experience housed within a Canvas course. What happens if you don't escape in time? No big deal! You will have access to the course after the session and can escape whenever you want.
|The course for this session will be housed within resources.instructure.com. If you do not have an account for this instance of Canvas, you can save time by creating an account before this session. (Make sure to remember your password!)|
What will you experience when you attend?
- An interactive course where you can explore some features in Canvas and participate to learn a little bit about the Canvas Community at the same time.
- Modules with required items and prerequisites.
- Mastery Paths with a twist.
- The integration of BADGR (yep, spelled correctly ) to award digital badges for completing modules.
Benefits of escaping:
- You'll have the most fun you've ever had while using Canvas (Disclaimer: While there is no evidence to back this up, you should still have a good time.)
- Experience ways Canvas features are used to help facilitate learning.
- You will be awarded with digital photo props you can use to share your escape on social media using #Instcon.
- You will be awarded several digital badges for completing modules through the challenge.
Your choice regarding ways to participate in the escape:
However you decide to participate is entirely up to you. No matter what, you should be able to experience features within Canvas while also learning about the Canvas community.
- Winner Winner, Chicken Dinner scenario: Rush through and experience the features in Canvas to claim victory and share your escape. (Disclaimer: There will actually be no chicken dinner unless you take yourself out afterwards.)
- Valedictorian scenario: Take your time and really explore the content of the course and delve into the learning. This way may take a little longer with escape taking place after the session is over, but can still result in a successful escape.
- Hybrid scenario: This is a combination of the Winner Winner, Chicken Dinner and Valedictorian scenarios. This does not have to be a 50/50 split. You can decide what blend you want to your mixture. If you are more competitive, you may lean towards the Winner scenario. If not, you may gain a deeper understanding of the Canvas Community.
Itinerary for this session:
- Brief introduction to session details (5-10 min)
- You attempt to escape (20-25 min)
- Q&A...or continue to try to escape if you are that into it (10 min)
- Your own device (while the course works in a mobile browser, I find it more enjoyable on my laptop)
- Paper and pencil to keep track of clues and notes for yourself
- Willingness to participate and ask questions
Once session is over:
- Course should be open so you can complete it and escape, review it, share it with others.
- If all goes as planned, I will be sharing a copy of the escape course to the Commons. This way you can import it into your own course and explore how things are set up from a teacher perspective. (You will have to integrate the BADGR LTI into your course prior to using the badges and you may need to create your own badges.)