Skip navigation
All Places > InstructureCon > InstructureCon 2019 > Blog
1 2 3 4 Previous Next

InstructureCon 2019

46 posts

Presentation Title

Carving the Waves of Student Success and Engagement in High-Enrollment Courses

Summary

Presenters were instructional designers from Arizona State University: Adrienne Wooten, Brendan Lake and Alexandra Miller. The presentation summary noted that they would share how they leveraged module settings, external tool integration and groups assignments to affect student success and engagement in high-enrollment courses.

The first part of the presentation defined what is a high-enrollment course and shared category types of high-enrollment courses.

• Team-taught course
    This is a course with multiple teachers that share the instructional load (approximately 20 mins. per student a week). Main challenges include organizing students into cohorts and organizing instructor views/messages.
  • Stretched course
    This type of course includes larger than average enrollment, requiring minor adjustments for support and assessment (approximately 10 mins. per student a week). Main challenges include helping students feel supported/connected and managing grading & feedback. Suggested assessments would be anything that can be graded quickly.
  • Watchtower course
    With the limited time (approximately 5 mins. per student a week), the instructor intervenes as needed likely foregoing personalized feedback. Main challenges include organizing effective assessments and helping students feel supported. Recommended assessments are mostly/all auto-graded with some open-ended projects including peer review.
  • Robot course
    Course essentially runs itself with instructor time dedicated to answering questions/troubleshooting (approximately 2 mins. per student a week). Main challenges are reducing technical issues & student confusion and academic integrity. Suggested assessments are all auto-graded.

Brendan also provided a time per student equation using: Expected instructor or TA time per week/students = time per student per week (for grading, feedback, answering questions, troubleshooting etc). For example if one instructor is expecting to allocate 9 hours of time per week for a course, then 100 students = 5.4 minutes per student per week.

Brendan Lake, ASU Instructional Designer

It was shared that instructors should set student's expectations in a high-enrollment course as far as grading turnaround & feedback type, as well as sharing ways they can be reached for help. Student expectations can also be set by using rubrics for all assignments.

Since in high-enrollment course, discussion forums can be unwieldy. It was shared that ASU uses Slack for faculty-student communication and much more. Additionally to improve engagement with course materials, ASU used PlayPosit to provide in-video quizzes.[Multiple-choice, check-all-that-apply and fill-in-the-blank question types are all auto-graded with PlayPosit.] 

Details

There are different types of high-enrollment courses, with different expectations of faculty-student interaction or engagement. Setting those expectations with students is key. Fostering engagement in high-enrollment courses is not easy but doable.

Conclusion

As some might be aware, the Florida SUS BOG has set an initiative that 70% of all fully online classes at each institution by 2025 achieve a quality certification, similar to Quality Matters. This type of certification requires multiple modes of engagement (teacher-student, student-content, student-student) and a variety of assessment types. As a FL highered instructional designer, I was extremely interested in attending this session as applying those to high-enrollment courses can be difficult. There is a finite amount of time that instructors can spend on these type of courses.

The use of Slack enterprise by ASU was interesting, but requires university-wide buy-in. This past semester I used Playposit on a small scale with the class I teach and did a survey following. All but one student preferred viewing videos through Playposit, who recommended that questions be all at the end of the video. Several of the students in their feedback actually described themselves as the activity being more interesting or engaging. I would be interested in hearing more about how others provide engagement in their high-enrollment courses; share your experiences with me!

Blogs!

InstructureCon 2019

Read More Session Recap Blogs

We (Chontel Delaney Andy Starr) recently presented at InstuctureCon 2019 in Long Beach, CA. We received many requests for a copy of our Get Moving! presentation, and we have made it available via Google Slides! 

In 7 short months, we packed our bags and moved to Canvas! Inspired by InstructureCon’s fun, energetic, and welcoming community, we rolled out our highly visual, social, and human-centered technology adoption. Through storytelling and activities, participants identified challenges, brainstormed new possibilities, and left with concrete methods for organizational transformation. 

Get Moving! On the Road to Adoption (Presentation)

When we implemented Canvas, we chose to focus on our faculty, their needs, and their experience instead of on the technology. As one method of truly getting to know our future Canvas users, we created a Canvas Profile Questionnaire. Each faculty member was asked to complete the questionnaire online, which was designed to help us get to know the faculty member, their teaching mode, and content migration preference. 

With over 400 faculty members completing the form, we used this information to identify courses that IT needed to migrate from Blackboard to Canvas, as well as recommend training sessions for the faculty member based on their teaching mode and use of the LMS.  

The questionnaire asked the following:

• Requestor Name
  • Faculty Classification Are you a full-time or adjunct faculty member?
  • Acct/Dept The account/department under which the ticket falls.
  • Course Type Describe the type of course(s) you teach
    • Traditional (face-to-face)
    • Online Only
    • Hybrid (blended)
    • Course Developer
  • Canvas Experience 
    • Beginner 
    • Intermediate 
    • Advanced
  • Preferred Learning Mode
    • Asynchronous (Asynchronous refers to self-paced training that can be done on your own using provided online resources and tutorials.)
    • Synchronous  (Synchronous refers to live training that is held at a specified time.)
  • Month of Training In which month do you anticipate attending Canvas training?
  • Content Migration Would you like to move your course content from Blackboard? Please note all options involve rebuilding your course to some degree.
    • I would like to build anew in Canvas
    • I would like to move my content myself
    • I would like IT to move my content for me
  • Course ID(s) Please provide the Blackboard Course ID(s) of the course(s) you previously taught that you would like migrated to Canvas. Please include the course subject (e.g., ACC), course number (e.g., 500), section (e.g., OL1) and term (e.g., 201740). 
  • Additional Info If you have any questions, concerns or feedback regarding the transition to Canvas, please let us know here.

Chontel Delaney Andy Starr

Canvas (Profile) Questionnaire

Analogies are a natural and creative way to see new possibilities in challenging circumstances. In our Canvas implementation, we thought that the experience of moving from one LMS to another was analogous to moving from one house to another. We used this analogy to thematically apply it to our adoption strategy. With any major change, it is important to first consider the people affected by the change. One way we personally connected with our faculty and reinforced our “moving” theme, was to create moving box care packages. The idea was to let them know that we empathized with them during this transition. You might be wondering what was included in the Canvas moving box and why? Each package included:

1. Pens & Post-It Notes (for new ideas)
  2. Coffee (to give a boost of energy)
  3. Tea (to calm down)
  4. M&Ms (chocolate chill pills)
  5. Tylenol/Advil (to take away any pain)
  6. Bubble Wrap (to relieve stress)
  7. Snacks (for those late nights)
  8. Tissues (for those happy tears)
  9. The Getting Started with Canvas in 10 Steps (for the checklist lover)

As a personal touch, we hand-delivered the packages to each academic department. We also sent personalized care packages to our Canvas Ambassadors, which included a handwritten personal note from members of the Canvas implementation team. Chontel DelaneyAndy Starr

“Moving” Box Care Package

The student-version of the 10 steps to getting started with Canvas was in response to our faculty asking for resources to share with their students. In the end, this was one of our most popular training resources. We invite you to download and adapt our version to meet your campus’ needs! Attached are both an EPS (editable) and a PDF version of the guide. Check out our faculty-version of the checklist!

Chontel Delaney Andy Starr

Getting Started with Canvas in 10 Steps (Students)

Who doesn’t love a “10 steps guide” to get yourself familiarized in Canvas? When we transitioned to Canvas, our faculty were yearning for a quick-start checklist. So, we searched in the Canvas Community and based our top 10 on Xavier University’s guide”: https://www.xavier.edu/id/canvas/. In the end, this was one of our most popular training resources. We invite you to download and adapt our version to meet your campus’ needs!  Attached are both an EPS (editable) and a PDF version of the guide. Also, check out our student-version of the checklist!

Chontel Delaney Andy Starr

Getting Started with Canvas in 10 Steps

Presentation Title

Weekly Canvas Tips: Targeting Faculty Needs Through Microlearning

Carly Papenberg and Elizabeth Reyes, Temple University

Summary

In addition to workshops and weekly "Lunch and Learning" opportunities, Temple University sought out a solution for advancing faculty's understanding of Canvas and created Quick Tips emails.

Details

On Wednesdays, a short email is sent to all faculty. Since 2017, 47 of these Quick Tips have been shared. Topics generally depend on the school year and the current needs of the faculty. For example, finalizing grades was featured at the end of the semester.

Unfortunately, this email doesn't reach everyone. Based on the analytics recorded by Survey Monkey, They have approximately 50% open rate. Considering that the Quick Tips go to all faculty and staff, that's a fairly decent ratio.

Each email is branded and designed consistently. The subject, heading, colors, and action icons are all the same from email to email. 

Within the email, there is an overview of the content, a brief overview of the process or topic, steps to complete the process or topic, an image of the process or topic, and then a link to an official Community resource. They also list upcoming campus events which support faculty with their technology and Canvas use.

Here are just a few of the topics they have covered:

• Canvas Bio
  • View Student Group Homepages
  • Mute a column while grading
  • Add announcements to your home page
  • Copy a course
  • Rubrics
  • Quiz statistics

Template archives their Quick Tips on their website. It makes it easy for faculty to return back to those emails and the content!

Carly and Elizabeth shared that they are constantly looking in the Canvas Community for ideas. They also pay attention at conferences to collect tips to share in their emails. Additionally, on their website, there is a place for faculty and staff to submit their own suggestions. This encouragement supports and rewards engagement!

Conclusion

I really liked to see that institutions are creating "bite-sized" professional development! I enjoy this concept as it's a nudge; it's not intrusive. The analytics help their Canvas team get a better understanding of who is exploring shared content, and it helps influence other professional development offerings.

Blogs!

InstructureCon 2019

Unconference Reflection

Last year when I attended InstructureCarn [my first InstCon], I learned about the unconference after the shuttle and flights were booked. Whomp, whomp. Once I learned what actually happened at an unconference, I had a serious case of FOMO. But you live, you learn. 

Yet, this year another oopsie. I scheduled something at 1pm thinking the unconference was ending at noon. Obviously, I did not ask any wise pandas about how long the unconference usually lasts or I wouldn't have made this slight blunder. Therefore, I was only able to attend the first session... but next year I'm likely to get it right!

Unconference ScheduleTopic

Community/Advocacy - Get Connected

Summary

This session included a very informal discussion with participants seated in a circle, facing each other. I joined when others were already seated and felt welcome to join. Color me pleased, but I met the inst-famous Renee Carney and the gif-master Dave Dick . It's always good to meet in-person with folks you've been interacting with online for year(s). 

The group started out with a simple introduction and the vibe was let's talk about what you want to talk about, ie the whole concept of the unconference. During this time, we learned that most likely in the near future the platform used for the community, Jive, will be changing. Change is good, right? Yaasss!

One of the topics that I brought up was how to encourage our staff and faculty to be more involved in the community, especially since our staff of over 85 instructional designers at FIU Online are doing some really great things in Canvas. Hey pandas, how do you get your faculty/staff to be involved in the community? We also learned that Instructure has revamped some of its branding to be more inclusive to their family of products. My understanding is that the Canvassador program is now the "Advocate" program. A Canvas Advocate would promote the Canvas product, Bridge Advocate --> Bridge, etc. 

Conclusion

Based on one session, would I recommend the unconference to a friend? Oh my panda, yes! It was a great opportunity to network informally with others while delving into topics of your own interest. Based on this year's schedule pictured above, don't be like Sky and plan to attend until 1pm :-)

InstructureCon 2019

Read More Unconference Reflection Blogs

At InstructureCon 2019 I had a chance to chat all-too-briefly with Matthew Jennings, and used that rare face time opportunity to thank him for his efforts in putting together the PDF versions of the InstructureCon Agenda that have proven so useful to so many. 

He proceeded to tell me why he puts these together.

[Matt, please feel free to step in and correct anything I might be misrepresenting; this was a very quick conversation in a very noisy lounge.]

Matt is part of a seven-member team, but he’s the only member of the team his school sent to InstructureCon this year. Every member of his team is passionate about learning, but Matt is the only member of his team who participates regularly in the Canvas Community. While he could easily have selected the InstructureCon sessions that interested him the most, he chose to let his team guide his decision: what sessions would the team most benefit from hearing about? He shaped his InstructureCon schedule from the selections his team made.

Matt determined that a PDF version of the agenda was the most readily consumable format for his team’s prioritization exercise. He chose to share this asset, which he updated regularly during the run-up to the event, with the world at large in the Canvas Community.

This simple backstory immediately struck me as significant—but as is my way, I had to sit back and absorb it for a bit. It came rushing back to my head a day or two later, when I looked out over the audience of one of the keynotes and suddenly saw a collection of icebergs—in Long Beach!—with their massive unseen structures right below the surface.

Every InstructureCon attendee potentially represents an unknown number of equally dedicated and passionate learning advocates who cannot be present. And for every one of our Canvas Community members, there is a team—three people? seven? ten?—who might not be actively engaging in day-to-day or even week-to-week Q&A here, but they’re represented by Matt and thousands of others like him who amplify the impact of everything we share.

The power of InstructureCon, and the power of Community, is indeed exponential—as Melissa says, it’s Awesome to the Power of C.

So thank you, Matt, not only for the PDFs and everything else you do here in the Canvas Community, but also for sharing with me a greater insight that enriches my personal and professional mission.

InstructureCon 2019

Read More Reflection Blogs

Blog header photo by Alexander Hafemann on Unsplash

Because Jayde Colquhoun and I traveled to the United States from Australia for InstructureCon 2019 we decided to make the most of the long trip and do some touristy fun stuff while we where there. Including things like going to a taping of the Conan show and Disneyland.
Well when I was reviewing my photos i took at Disneyland i noticed that another photo-bombing fan of Canvas had the same idea.

An image of the castle at Disneyland and the statue of Walt holding Mickys hand. In the foreground is a man with an instructure con 2017 shirt on
The odds of this happening is crazy! Sure it wouldnt be uncommon for someone visiting Instructure Con to also visit Disneyland while theyre on California. However, to be there on the same day, at the same time, be in the area i was taking the photo all the while having decided to wear that t shirt on that day blows my mind! Hope you had a good day at Disneyland random InstructureCon attendee!
It was an absolute delight to meet everyone at Instructure Con and were looking foward to putting everything we took away from it into practice for RMIT.

Presentation Title

PRE-CON: API 101: Introduction to APIs

InstructureCon Session Info

Summary

The Canvas API is crazy powerful and can be used to perform a bunch of actions and automate otherwise mundane processes.

Details

I consider myself pretty tech savvy but I've never dabbled into APIs so I was very interested to learn more about the capabilities of the Canvas API. Prior to the session, participants had to download an API development app, Postman (free download).

Session Presenters

Mike Cowen, Instructure Trainer
Casey Rowley, Technical Consultant

Why use an API?

• When you need to make changes in bulk.

Examples of API Use:

• Create a user
  • Give certain users admin rights
  • Change the course status to private
  • Turn on a feature flag for all the courses of a certain instructor
  • Merge 2 users

Example:

“Hey Siri, what time does Walmart Pharmacy open today?”

There are 4 parts of an API call:

1. authorization
  2. options
  3. location
  4. action

Example in Canvas:

“Hey Canvas, tell me what users are enrolled in BIO 101 100M SU19?”

View the API features at your institution:

https://[institution.beta].instructure.com/api/v1/accounts/self/features
  • Must already be logged into institution Canvas instance, NOT the vanity URL (if your institution uses one)
  • Must have an Account Admin role (or sub-account role)
Only use the beta instance of your Canvas account until you are comfortable enough to make changes to the production environment. Making changes to the API has the potential to make very large and possibly destructive changes to your Canvas environment! - How do I access the Canvas beta environment as an admin? 

Methods:

• Get (tell me something)
  • Post (create something new)
  • Put (update something that already exists)
  • Delete (remove from the UI)

What if you don’t know the course ID?

Canvas API Documentation: api.instructure.com

When using a GET API call, you’ve already authenticated in your browser.

When using POST, PUT, DELETE, you can’t use a browser so you need another way to authenticate using a TOKEN.

API Token Security Best Practices:

• Don’t share it
  • Protect it
  • Have it expire

It’s better to create a separate token in Production, Test, & Beta Canvas instances.

Account > Settings > Generate New Token

Admin > Settings > Reports > Provisioning Report > Courses (only use a specific Term) > Run Report

Can use the Provisioning Report from above to get the unique course ID to replicate the same action on all courses.

canvas_course_id

Use double curly brackets in Postman app on the new value for the Path Variable:
{{canvas_course_id}}

Conclusion

This was probably one of my favorite sessions at InstructureCon 2019 and was an eye-opening view into the power behind the Canvas API. I have a few ideas for how I can apply what I learned into my daily tasks as a Canvas admin at my institution and I'm very thankful to have an opportunity to attend this pre-con!

By the end of this session, I was able to create a new Canvas course with the API, how exciting?! 

I'm also looking forward to the video recording to be available so I can review it when I have questions.

What are some of the ways you are using the Canvas API in your day-to-day work? I'd love to learn more!

Blogs!

InstructureCon 2019

Banner photo by Safar Safarov on Unsplash

Presentation Blog

Presentation Title

Riding the Regrade Wave: How Quizzes.Next Solved a Gnarly Grading Issue for a Large-Enrollment Business Course

Rebecca Moulder - The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, Pa)

Abstract / Session Overview

Regrading numerical quiz questions for a 500-student course at The Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania was a real challenge in Canvas Quizzes. Learn how we're piloting Quizzes.Next to take advantage of its regrading capabilities, settings, and new question types, and how we're preparing for wider rollout.

Details

Thursday, July 11th at 3:25 pm

In this presentation I discuss how Wharton came to use Quizzes.Next for not one, but two large-enrollment (500-900 student) courses. One course had a persistent need to regrade numeric question types, a feature unavailable in classic Quizzes. In the second course, MBA students must complete a timed writing assessment, which worked well using the new stimulus question type and improved essay questions. I show how to set up a new quiz using Quizzes.Next, point out the more granular student view and quiz log settings, and demo how the regrade tool works. While there is still much to be developed for Quizzes.Next, I found that capitalizing on the things it does well has helped me find workarounds for the features that are pending.

Resources

InstructureCon 2019

Read More Presentation Blogs

Trouble remembering all of the great product announcements throughout InstructureCon? We've got ya covered! Here's the annual summary of announcements and resources.

Analytics

Course Grade Average

Course Grade allows instructors to view the average course grade for all course data using an interactive chart or table. Additionally, instructors can filter analytics results to compare the average course grade with a specific section, student, or assignment.

Availability

Canvas Release: Analytics Beta (Course Grade) 

Resources

What is Analytics Beta? 

User Group: Analytics Beta 

Weekly Online Activity

Weekly Online Activity allows instructors to view the average number of page views and participations for a course using an interactive chart or table. Additionally, instructors can filter analytics results to compare the average course activity with a specific section or student.

Availability

Canvas Release: Analytics Beta (Weekly Online Activity) 

Resources

What is Analytics Beta? 

Student View

Students need a view into their data for a specific course that is understandable, actionable, and accessible, and provides the same view of their data as what teachers see.

Availability

Canvas Release: Analytics Beta (Individual Student View) 

Resources

What is Analytics Beta? 

Assignments Workflow Improvements

Student & Instructor Workflow

Assignments is one of the most popular topics in the community, and data shows it is the most frequently used feature in Canvas. We want to make it easier to set up an assignment and easier for students to submit. We want to give you more options and more flexibility through improved user experience. We also see an opportunity to make the Assignment feedback loop between instructors and students undeniably awesome.

Resources

The specified item was not found. 

Catalog

Reporting

Catalog administrators need Catalog data included in Canvas Data so that custom reports can be created and data can be accessed as needed.

Availability

Catalog Release Notes (2019-04-01) 

Resources

Commons

Instructors want to see quality content highlighted, plus we’re partnering with organizations on high quality content that should be highlighted. First partners are Apple and Special Olympics.

Availability

Canvas Release Notes (2019-07-13) 

Resources

How do I use Commons? 

Featured Content in Commons: Coming Soon! 

Preview

Users can preview resource content before importing it into their course. Users will no longer need to import a resource from Commons to view all the contents of that resource. The user interface has also been simplified to make finding and importing Commons content easier.

Availability

Canvas Release Notes (2019-01-05) 

Resources

How do I preview resources in Commons? 

Data

Outcomes

Outcomes data has been added to Canvas Data to help facilitate additional reporting and analytics needs specific to outcomes. 

Availability

Canvas Data Release Notes (2018-12-11) 

Canvas Data Release Notes (2019-02-21) 

Resources

How do I use the Canvas Data Portal for an account? 

Catalog

Catalog data has been added to Canvas Data to help facilitate additional reporting and analytics needs specific to user-created catalogs.

Availability

Canvas Data Release Notes (2019-02-21) 

Canvas Data Release Notes (2019-03-29) 

Resources

How do I use the Canvas Data Portal for an account? 

Gradebook

Final Grade Override

Allows instructors to adjust the final grade for a student if needed in the course, such as before sending course grades to a student information system. Once this feature is enabled, it cannot be turned off.

Availability

Canvas Release Notes (2019-02-16) 

Resources

How do I override a student's final grade in the New Gradebook? 

Student Group Filter

The new filter helps combat navigation and loading issues for the Gradebook in large courses; allowing graders to narrow down to a subset of students.

Availability

Canvas Release Notes (2019-06-22) 

Resources

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-16541-4152814167

LTI Advantage

The current framework is old and has some grading and API practices that are out of date. Admins can enable LTI 1.3 and LTI Advantage features now. However, few vendors have completed integrations with this new framework.

Availability

Canvas Release: LTI 1.3 and LTI Advantage 

Resources

Learning Tools Interoperability | IMS Global Learning Consortium 

How do I configure an external app for an account using a client ID? 

How do I configure an external app for a course using a client ID? 

Mobile

Student app 6.5 (iOS Only): 

Apple Pencil Support

Makes using an Apple Pencil easier when using the Student app.

Availability

Canvas Student Release Notes (iOS 6.5) 

AR file viewing

Provides streamlined experience between Canvas apps and Apple’s new AR Quick Look Tool.

Availability

Siri Shortcuts

Takes advantage of the Siri Shortcut feature released in iOS 12.0 to allow students to easily access course grades.

Availability

Resources

Siri Shortcuts: Canvas Student App

Updated Grades widget

Enhances the Grades widget to include assignment grades in addition to course grades.

Availability

Included in Canvas Student 6.5.3

Resources

How do I add a Canvas widget to my iOS device? 

Student app 6.6:

New assignment details

The current Assignments view is outdated and is in need of a UX overhaul. The new Assignments view enables students to submit assignments and view information about their submissions.

Availability

Student 6.6 (iOS/Android)

Resources

Available after August 5

Teacher App 1.8

New Modules

Modules was one of the most-highly requested features for the Canvas Teacher app. This allows teachers to access their course content through the modules they have created.

Availability

Canvas Teacher Release Notes (iOS 1.8) 

Canvas Teacher Release Notes (Android 1.8) 

Resources

How do I view Modules in the Teacher app on my iOS device? 

How do I view Modules in the Teacher app on my Android device? 

Post Policies

Muting was confusing, not very flexible, and tedious to set up. Post Policies clarifies grade posting policies and adds new features.

• Can now set a policy for the course that affects all assignments in the course
  • Assignments can have a post policy for individual assignments
  • Grades can now be posted by section as well as just what’s been graded (in addition to everyone)
  • Hiding grades can also be done by section

Availability

Canvas Release Notes (2019-07-13) 

Resources

Priority: Gradebook Enhancements 

How do I select a grade posting policy for a course in the New Gradebook? 

How do I select a grade posting policy for an assignment in the New Gradebook? 

How do I post grades for an assignment in the New Gradebook? 

New Quizzes

Assessment On-screen Question

Students can view a calculator throughout an assessment.

Availability

Canvas Release Notes (2019-06-01) 

Resources

How do I take an assessment in New Quizzes? 

How do I manage settings for an assessment in New Quizzes? 

Extra Time and Attempts

Instructors can add additional time and/or attempts per quiz for students that require accommodations. These accommodations are in addition to any provided course-level accommodations.

Availability

Resources

Instructors can search for items in an item bank.

Availability

Canvas Release Notes (2019-03-30) 

Resources

How do I manage item banks in New Quizzes? 

How do I create an item bank in New Quizzes? 

Item Banks: Tagging

Instructors can categorize similar items within item banks.
Availability

Canvas Release Notes (2019-03-30) 

Resources

How do I manage item banks in New Quizzes? 

How do I edit an item bank item in New Quizzes? 

Results and Feedback Management

Instructors can choose to display or hide points, items, responses, and feedback to students.

Availability

Resources

Reopen Attempt

Instructors can grant a student access to an assessment that was submitted before it was complete.

Availability

Resources

How do I moderate a student's assessment attempt in New Quizzes? 

Scientific Notation

Instructors can require students to use scientific notation in numeric questions. Scientific notation broadens the scope of educators and disciplines that benefit from using new quizzes to measure learning.

Availability

Canvas Release Notes (2019-06-01) 

Resources

How do I create a Numeric question in New Quizzes? 

Total Points in Build

The total points in a quiz are displayed as the quiz is built. This solution makes assessment creation decisions regarding points per question easier by showing the total points possible in the question navigator.

Availability

Resources

How do I create an assessment using New Quizzes? 

RCE Improvements

The old Rich Content Editor was oddly organized with a clunky and complicated toolbar. The right-side wiki bar also took up unnecessary space. The new Rich Content Editor more intuitively handles images, media, and Canvas content.

Availability

Admins can enable the RCE Enhancements feature option in the beta environment

Resources

Priority: RCE 

Studio

Media Engagement Notifications

Embedded Studio comments promote engagement and interaction between educators and students, but Studio can also notify users when these interactions take place to support additional teaching and collaboration opportunities.

Availability

Coming Soon

Resources

Arc Comment Notifications 

Video Quizzing

Media owners have an innovative way to create engaging and impactful learning experiences through video. Video quizzes can be used to evaluate how well users comprehend course video content in real time.

Availability

Arc Release Notes (2019-06-11) 

Resources

How do I use Canvas Studio video quizzing in a course? 

How do I create a Canvas Studio video quiz in a course? 

How do I embed a Canvas Studio video quiz in the Rich Content Editor as an instructor? 

How do I post Canvas Studio video quiz results in the Gradebook? 

How do I view Canvas Studio video quiz results in a course? 

How do I take a Canvas Studio video quiz in a course as a student? 

Unsplash Replaces Flickr

Unsplash offers appropriate, professional, and curated images with improved accessibility.

Availability

Resources

Flickr Removing Images: We Got This 

Blogs!

InstructureCon 2019

I'm still trying to process what an AMAZING week instructurecon 2019 has been.  I usually take a week to fully allow myself to reorganize everything I've absorbed and learned.  But there's one thing that simply cannot wait.  I had a few moments last week that I shared some hard tears and those friends that caught me in those moments, I THANK YOU for holding me up when I needed it.  What most of you didn't realize is that your hugs, your smiles, your words and laughter carried me through the days leading me up to my 2nd "Strokaversary" today.  I am not writing this for your sympathy, rather for a call for action as you are all getting back to your homes/offices/schools.

So far we have had 25 people voluntarily turn in their step counts and over 1.5 MILLION steps have been calculated!!  This is huge!  It's not to late to submit your steps from last week if you are wanting to! You may do so here or on twitter (and tag #stepsforbeth on twitter).  Every one of your steps has not only helped me through my week, but is also helping me push my warm energy and prayers toward someone else.

Today, on my 2nd Strokaversary, here's what I'm asking from each of you. (I've now had permission from her friend to post this) Some of you may know Jacoba from K-12 and Higher Ed Sales and Marketing at Cidilabs.  Her daughter, Dallas, passed away. While I was inputing and tallying up your steps this weekend, I was constantly thinking about how Jacoba was at her daughter's funeral Saturday and how absolutely blessed and thanking the Lord that I was able to have my daughter by my side last week.  And I couldn't help but think of how she will need to feel warmth and love in the days to follow. 

On Dallas' memorial homepage, they are asking for random acts of kindness:

What else? If you feel compelled to do something in my name (and I ain’t saying it’s necessary) you know I love helping those in need.

So:

• Hug a stranger who needs you

• Pay it forward at the drive-thru

• Donate to the Cache Humane Society in my name (you know how much I love kittens, right?)

• Donate to Planned Parenthood to provide health care for women who can’t afford it on their own.

• We’ll be donating my hair to kids who need it—so if you’ve got an extra 10 inches, let’s do it together.

Then click on that homepage and fill out the form and send Jacoba some warmth and Panda love like our #stepsforbeth knows how to do so well!  

Thank you 

PS.  I'll reflect on the rest of the week on another post...today's post is about Dallas and Jacoba

InstructureCon 2019

Read More Reflection Blogs

David Tod

Unconference - David Tod

Posted by David Tod Jul 15, 2019

Unconference Reflection

Unconference began with a series of delightful, 5-minute presentations by a variety of people about their conference experience. While this was going on, the organizers got the topics organized.

I attended the Canvas Data session, the Google + Canvas session, and the API Customization session. All three were interesting, although the Google session was more focused on immediate instructor concerns and how-to's.

Topic

Canvas Data was a good session and I suspect a number of us didn't really want the session to end.

Summary

Some were simply curious, but a number are already deep in the weeds. I was quite surprised that a number of people use Canvas Data for application development purposes rather than pure reporting. These people also tend to use Live Events in order to have the most up to date data available.

I was also surprised that people don't always care for the dim and fact organization of the data (which I've alwasy understood to be more optimal for data warehouse functionality).

Conclusion

We're just getting going with Canvas Data and are still asking what we need to use it for, but we got some useful information out of this and other related sessions. 

InstructureCon 2019

Read More Unconference Reflection Blogs