Canvas FAQ Template

Document created by Doug Holton on Jun 25, 2017Last modified by Doug Holton on Jul 20, 2017
Version 17Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

In helping folks with Canvas, I got a lot of common questions, so I put together and sent out a FAQ.   Feel free to adapt this Canvas FAQ for your own college or school.  If you have any suggested additional questions, resources, or edits, feel free to comment below or edit this document.  Items in red would need to be customized for your school.  Double check items which may not apply to your school - for example if you do not have access to the Canvas webinars, or you switched from a different LMS than Blackboard.

See also 10 Critical Steps for Faculty Canvas Newbies for a related resource.

How do I access Canvas?

At [Name of School], you can access Canvas directly with this link:

https://link.to.your.canvas.site

How do I get help with Canvas?

You can live chat with Canvas support or contact Canvas directly by clicking on the “Help” link on the bottom left of any Canvas page.  You can also call ###-###-#### for Canvas support.

Are there online tutorials for learning Canvas?

Should you prefer to learn Canvas on your own see the Canvas instructor guide and this self-paced Canvas video tour.

There are also Canvas training webinars offered every day that faculty have access to, and CanvasLIVE online events open to the public.

You can also search for answers to any questions you may have on the Find Answers page in the Canvas community site.

Some other colleges have also publicly shared their Canvas instructor training courses, including: Indiana, Richland, and other universities.

Where is the student view?

Go to your course, then Settings (on the bottom left), and you’ll see the Student View button on the top right.

See How do I view a course using a test student? for more details.

How do I create a sandbox course space?

Contact Canvas support (see above) to request a sandbox. Specify the course ID and your name.

What are the differences between Canvas & Blackboard?

Ivy Tech has a Blackboard vs. Canvas comparison table (PDF) that highlights the differences.

Murray State also has a PDF of differences between Canvas & Blackboard.

How do I get my courses to show up on the short list in the Courses menu?

Click “All Courses” under Courses or here is a direct link to the list of all your Canvas courses: https://link.to.your.canvas.site/courses  Then “star” the courses you want to show on the short list.

Will Canvas work with my browser and computer?

Canvas is compatible with pretty much all major browsers and devices, provided you have updated them.  See Which browsers does Canvas support? for a specific list of browser versions that are compatible with Canvas and What are the basic computer specifications for Canvas? for minimum computer requirements.

Note: If you are using features that require Flash, such as media recording assignmentsmedia commenting in messages, or BigBlueButton videoconferencing, you may need to enable Flash in your browser for these features to work.  In Chrome, if Flash is not working, click on the "Secure" button to the left of the URL box and set Flash to always run on your Canvas site.  If Flash is still not working in Chrome, see Adobe Flash isn't working.  The default BigBlueButton videoconferencing tool in Canvas currently also requires Java to be installed if you want to share your screen, although eventually Java will no longer be required.  Neither Flash nor Java features will work on mobile devices.  Canvas and BigBlueButton are in the process of moving from Flash to HTML5 to address these issues.

Does Canvas work on my phone?

You can access Canvas using your mobile phone's web browser, but there are also Canvas apps for Android and iPad/iPhone.  They do not provide all instructor functionality, however (but a Canvas Teacher app is in the works).  The Canvas Guide to Android and Guide to iOS has more documentation.

See also the SpeedGrader app for Android and iPad/iPhone for quickly grading assignments from a tablet.  Here are the Canvas Guide pages for SpeedGrader.

Can students see my course before the start date?

Only if the course is Published (button on top right of course) AND you have unchecked the course setting: “Restrict students from viewing course before start date.”  See How do I restrict student access to a course before or after the course dates? for more information.

What do I need to do to get my course ready at the start of the semester?

See this Canvas Start of the Semester Instructor Checklist for some items to check before your course starts, such as making sure everything is published in your course that needs to be published.

How do I email my students?

You can post an announcement in your course that will go out to your students, or click on the “People” link in your course to contact a student individually. Otherwise, click on the “Inbox” link on the left, and you can compose an email to your class or any individuals using the Conversations tool in Canvas.  See How do I use Conversations as an instructor? for more information.

Where are my different sections?

Different course sections by default may or may not be combined into one Canvas course (check what your school decided about combining sections or not). That has not yet been decided yet.  There are pros and cons for each option. Here is some more info on sections in Canvas.

How do I add or change a link in the left-hand navigation menu?

In Canvas, you cannot add new links to the navigation menu, only remove, hide, or change the order of links.* If an item is grayed out, it means you can see it, but students can’t.  See How do I reorder and hide Course Navigation links? for more information, and use the Student View (see above) to double check how your course and navigation looks to your students.  

*There is a 3rd party app that allows you to add links to the Canvas navigation menu.  See these instructions on using the Redirect tool.

What is the difference between Pages and Modules?

Pages are static web pages. They are meant to hold content, like text, embedded videos, links to outside resources, etc. Modules let you sequence and organize your content and activities. A module might contain one or more pages, plus an assignment, a pdf file, a quiz, and so forth. With a module, you can set the sequence and whether or not students are required to view or complete an item in a module. Modules help students understand what they need to do in your course.

Here are different examples of ways to organize a module.

How do I check for plagiarism?

Edit this for whatever plagiarism detection tool you are using (or none).

(if none)

There is currently no plagiarism detection tool built-in to Canvas.  There are some free tools available online, such as Plagiarisma, which allows you to paste text to check for plagiarism.  Some other free plagiarism detection tools are listed here.

(if TurnItIn)

There is some documentation for using TurnItIn in the Canvas Guides, including:

(if Vericite)

VeriCite step-by-step instructions are available online: How do I add a VeriCite assignment?

For students, see How do I submit a VeriCite assignment as a student?

For additional help, visit VeriCite’s Canvas User Guide

(if Unicheck/Unplag)

To use Unicheck (formerly Unplag), when creating an assignment in Canvas, select External Tool as the Submission Type.  Then click the Find button to search for Unicheck.  After you have saved the assignment, you can click the Settings button on the top left of the assignment page to edit other Unicheck settings. See these videos for more information:

How can I use math equations and formulas in Canvas?

When editing text in Canvas, click the pi icon (π) in the rich text editor toolbar to open the math editor and insert math equations and chemistry formulas.  You can click on 'Switch View to Advanced' in the math editor to paste in LaTeX.  For more details and examples, see How do I use the Math Editor in the Rich Content Editor?

Additionally, Canvas quizzes have a type of question called Formula Question that lets you enter variables and formulas that will be varied from student to student, to handle homework copying.  See How do I create a Simple Formula quiz question?  and this video presentation: Using Mathematical Formulas in Canvas Quizzes to Improve Formative Assessments.

How do I manage and access my test banks?

If you click on Quizzes in the navigation for your Canvas course, you can then click on the settings gear icon on the top right and select "Manage Question Banks" to see the test banks.  See also How do I create a question bank in a course? and Creating and Using Question Banks.

And if you bookmark a question bank, it will be accessible in other courses.

How do I delete or undelete items?

Click the settings gear icon next to any item to delete it.  Example: How do I delete an assignment? 

Note, however, that when you are on the Modules page, it says 'Remove', not 'Delete'.  That is because modules only contain links to items, not the actual items.  If you remove a page or file from a module, the page or file is still in your course, just no longer listed in that module.  To delete it, you need to go to the Pages or Files area, or to the actual item to be able to delete it.

You can undelete and restore items that were accidentally deleted.  Add "/undelete" (no quotes) to the end of the URL to your course.  See Undeleting things in Canvas.

How do I give bonus points or extra credit?

You can add more than the maximum points to an assignment in the gradebook or SpeedGrader (example: 105/100).  If you use assignment group weighting, however, and you create a zero point 'bonus' assignment, make sure it is in a group with at least one other non-zero point assignment, or the bonus points will not be counted (because zero points times percentage weight equals zero).

See How do I give extra credit in a course? for more details and more techniques for bonus points and extra credit.

What third party apps work with Canvas?

There are hundreds of apps compatible with Canvas listed on EduAppCenter. You can add them by going to your course -> Settings -> Apps.  One example third party app is the Piazza question & answer forum tool.  To add some third party apps, you may need a consumer key, shared secret, and launch URL (for example, see these instructions for adding Piazza to Canvas).  If you cannot find these through a search or through contacting the third party vendor, please contact your IT support.

What are some sample Canvas courses and templates?

See Example Courses by Subject for some sample courses.  You can also enroll in public Canvas courses (MOOCs) on Canvas.net or import and test out courses from the Canvas Commons repository. 

You can also find publicly shared Canvas courses through Google search, by restricting the search to the instructure.com or canvas.net domains. Example query: "public speaking" syllabus (site:instructure.com OR site:canvas.net)

In the Canvas Commons you can search and find several Canvas course templates and resources, including:

This Visual Design in Canvas course has some tips on creating your own visual page and module designs.

How do I make my course accessible?

The General Accessibility Design Guidelines page has tips for making your Canvas content and pages more accessible, such as:

• Adding alt tags to images
  • Checking color contrast
  • Captioning videos
  • Making Word, PowerPoint, and PDF documents accessible

Accessibility within Canvas describes how the Canvas interface itself is accessible, including MathML support with the equation editor.

Join the Accessibility Canvas Community group for more tips and resources.

What new features are in Canvas? How can I stay up to date?

Canvas updates their production version every 3 weeks. Here are the notes for each Canvas release on the Canvas Community site. Click the Follow button on the top right to subscribe to release notes.

How can I join the Canvas Community?

You can join and follow several groups on the Canvas Community site, such as groups dedicated to Accessibility, Canvas Migration, etc.  To follow and contribute to the site, you need to be logged in with your Canvas account.  See How do I log into the Community with my Canvas Account?

11 people found this helpful

Attachments

Outcomes