The PowerSchool Plugin was updated on 09/05 to version 1.0.50. Please update the new plugin if your version is still 1.0.44.
How to install the PowerSchool XML Plugin for Canvas
- Login to the admin portal of Powerschool
- In the left hand navigation go to Setup, and click on System:
- Under Server in the settings, click on System Settings:
- On the System Settings page click on Plugin Management Configuration:
- On the Plugin Management Dashboard click the Install button on the right hand side:
- On The Plugin Install Page click Choose File, locate the recently downloaded Canvas zip file (attached below to this document), and click Install on the right hand side:
Important Note: If the zip file is extracted, it will not work properly. Please upload the zip file as is.
Important Note: Do not use Safari as a browser while downloading the plugin. By default Safari will extract downloaded zip files.
- After the plugin has finished installed you should see it on the Plugin Management Dashboard page.
Note that your plug-in version may be different than the version shown below.
- If the checkmark next to the plugin in the "Enable/Disable" column is not checked (as in the screenshot above) be sure to check the box to enabled the plugin, so that it looks like the screenshot below. A slide over panel or pop-up window will be displayed showing the information available to the plugin. Click the "Enable" button on this screen to complete the enable process.
- Click on the "Canvas-Powerschool-API Plugin" title to go into the settings of the plugin.
- Click on "Data Configuration." You may need to screen down. The option appears in an unnamed section below the "Installed Resources" section of the page.
- In the "OAuth Credentials" section you will see the Client ID and Client Secret for the plugin. The Canvas Implementation team will need the Client ID, Client Secret and your PowerSchool URL to finish the setup of your PowerTeacher Pro GPB with Canvas. For security reasons this information should NOT be sent via email.
- Please send this information to this link as a .txt file (no screenshots) with your institutions name as the file name.
Verifying the Plugin
Once the plugin is installed and enabled, you must also verify that "PowerQueries" are showing up under "Installed Resources" on the plugin information page. The new PTP plugin needs the ability to get teacher grading categories from PTP via PowerQueries to import assignment groups into Canvas.
If you do not see "PowerQueries" under "Installed Resources", try reinstalling the plugin and then call PowerSchool for assistance if it still does not function properly.
There are two likely reasons why PowerQueries may have not been added to your plug-in:
- Ensure you are installing the plugin from this page. Our previous plugin for the legacy PowerTeacher grade book did not include PowerQueries.
- The plugin you installed was not in the original .zip form from this page. Some web browsers automatically unzip downloaded files for you. Please be sure that the plugin you are installing has a .zip extension and is not just an .xml file.
Example of a plug-in with PowerQueries:
If you have any questions or concerns about this document, please reach out to your CSM.
How to update the PowerSchool XML Plugin for Canvas
1. Login to the admin portal of Powerschool
3. Under Server in the settings, click on System Settings:
4. On the System Settings page click on Plugin Management Configuration:
5. Click on the Canvas-PTP plugin
6. On the plugin information screen, click "Update"
7. Browse to the zip file for the latest version of the PTP plugin (attached to this document) and upload it
8. After the plugin is updated, verify the plugin