When creating an assessment, you can create a Fill in the Blank question in Gauge. Fill in the Blank questions can have multiple blank spaces and include various answer types.
Note: Fill in the Blank question stems with large amounts of column formatting, text, or tables may result in blanks that cannot be clicked by students.
Add Question Title and Stem
In the Question Title field , add a question title. Question titles are optional and are not visible to students.
In the Question Stem field , add the question stem. The question stem contains the question and, if necessary, additional instructions and information. The question stem will be used to add blank spaces for your Fill in the Blank question.
Create Blank Space
To create a blank space, highlight a word or group of words in the question stem . Then click the Create Blank Space button .
Select Answer Type
In the Answer Type menu, select the answer type to use for a blank space . Fill in the Blank answer types are Open Entry, Dropdown, or Word Bank.
Select Text Match
For Open Entry answer types, you will need to select a Text Match option from the Text Match menu. The following options are available:
- Close Enough: Uses Levenshtein Distance to determine if the response is close enough to the correct answer. Levenshtein Distance is the number of single-character edits needed to change one word to another. You can choose to ignore case.
- Exact Match: Requires case and spelling to match exactly.
- Contains: Allows for the word to exist anywhere in student responses.
- Specify Correct Answers: Specifies that each acceptable response use regular expressions for a custom match.
- Regular Expression Match: Requires using specialized text strings that describe search patterns. Not recommended for beginners.
Align to Outcome
To align the question to an outcome, click anywhere in the Align to Outcomes section.
Add to Item Bank
If you want to save a question to use in other assessments, you can add it to an item bank.
To add the question to an item bank, click the Add to Bank link.
Note: After a question has been added to an item bank, it can only be edited in the item bank. You can still set unique point values and options in the assessment for an item bank question.
Add Point Value
To customize the point value for the question, type the point value in the Points field  or use the arrows to increase or decrease the point value .