We are currently working with Aeries and a group of early adopters to refine the Grade Passback (GPB) solution. At this time we are not accepting new pilot districts but expect to fully support this feature soon.
Our engineering team is working with engineers from Aeries to make sure this is a successful solution for our customers. We appreciate your patience. Please check back soon.
This guide was created to walk you through the three easy steps for 1) importing assignment groups, 2) setting up assignments, and 3) syncing grades to the Aeries gradebook as part of the SIS Platform.
1- How do I import assignment groups from Aeries to Canvas?
In addition to syncing grades, the new OneRoster integration also allows you to import assignment groups from Aeries to the Canvas assignments page. Assignment groups are collected and verified nightly so that they may be imported manually in Canvas.
1. In Canvas, click on the gear on the assignments page and select “Import Assignment Groups” to import collected assignment groups from our SIS Platform.
Importing Grading Categories
Note: Assignment groups are collected from Aeries on a nightly basis. If your assignment groups aren’t ready yet, they will be tomorrow once they have been verified in the SIS Platform.
2. The arrow icon displayed on an assignment group indicates that it was imported from Aeries. This is meant to distinguish manually created assignment groups from Aeries gradebook assignment groups.
Note: In order for assignments to sync to Aeries gradebook, they must either be in the default Assignments group or in a group imported from Aeries.
3. Move assignments to a Aeries gradebook created assignment group.
2 - How do I set up assignments for Aeries OneRoster grade passback?
Setting Up An Assignment for Aeries Gradebook
Aeries requires that two conditions are met before passing grades back for assignments with “Post to SIS” checked in your Canvas account settings:
1. The assignment must have a due date - the grade passback LTI adds validation to your assignment to make sure a due date is selected before it is created as well as after if you attempt to remove a due date. This validation only applies if the assignment is set to sync to Aeries gradebook.
2. Choosing to Sync Created Assignments - when creating an assignment, make sure to check the “Sync to Aeries gradebook” box to be able to sync the assignment’s grade from Canvas to the Aeries gradebook.
Setting Assignments to Sync
Note: The SIS option is not available for Not Graded assignment types.
Sync To Aeries Icon
Canvas’ new grade passback LTI adds a “Sync to [SIS]” icon on the assignment page.
As a teacher, you can toggle this icon on or off depending on whether you want to send this assignment’s grade to the Aeries gradebook.
Sync to Aeries Button
Ensure that ‘Sync to Aeries’ is enabled on assignments you want to pass back to Aeries gradebook.
3 - How do I Sync grades from Canvas’ gradebook to Aeries?
1. From the Canvas’ gradebook, click on “Export”
2. Click on "Sync to Aeries"
3. A window will appear asking you to confirm the grade sync. Once “Sync Now” is selected, grades will be queued to be sent from Canvas to the Aeries gradebook.
GPB Lessons Learned
Please take note of the following Lessons Learned to make grade passback work successfully:
1. Due dates for assignments MUST be within an active grading period.
2. Aeries gradebooks cannot be linked (otherwise duplication in the gradebook will result).