For institutions that allow users to create parent accounts in the Canvas Parent mobile app, admins can view and manage all parent accounts associated with the institution’s Canvas account through Canvas Parent Tools. Parent accounts also include any users who are registered as Canvas observers and who are using the Canvas parent app.
- This feature only applies to institutions using the Canvas Parent feature option.
- Canvas Parent Tools must be enabled by a Canvas Customer Success Manager (CSM). Please contact your CSM for assistance.
View Account List
In Canvas Parent Tools, you can view the name of each parent associated with your account , the name of the linked student , the date the parent linked to the student , and the last time the parent accessed content within the app . You can filter content within any column by clicking the name of the column.
Please note the following details about user data:
- Last activity is shown in real time within an hour.
- If connection data does not display a date, the parent linked to the student before this feature was available (March 11, 2017). Any connections after the tool was available will show the date of the connection.
- Data indicates the total number of connections that have been created between a parent and a student in the Canvas Parent app. If a parent has downloaded the app but has not yet made a connection with a student, the parent will not display in Canvas Parent Tools.
If you need to reset a password, you can send a password reset email to the parent. The reset email is the same email that parents would get if they were to request a password reset directly from the Canvas Parent app.
To send a password reset email, locate the name of the parent. Click the parent's Settings menu  and select the Reset Parent Password option .
Note: If the reset password option is faded and not available, the parent is registered as a Canvas observer. Canvas observers must reset their passwords according to the password reset protocol set by your institution.
If necessary, you can also block a parent from accessing a student's information in the Canvas Parent app. To block a parent, locate the name of the parent. Click the parent's Settings menu  and select the Block Parent option . The Blocked status will display next to the parent's name .
The parent will immediately be unable to access the student's information.
If you block a parent who is registered as a Canvas observer, Canvas displays a message notifying you that the parent is an observer. Blocking a parent registered as an observer only blocks the parent from accessing the Canvas Parent App, but it does not block the parent from accessing the student’s account through Canvas in a web browser.
To completely block an observer from viewing the student’s course information, you must also remove the observer from the student’s course in Canvas.
To unblock a parent at any time, locate the name of the parent. Click the parent's Settings menu  and click the Unblock Parent option .
The parent's connection with the student will be restored automatically.
To export the list as a CSV file, click the global Settings menu , then click the Export List link .
The export feature provides more details about each account. The CSV file displays columns for the parent name, parent username, parent Canvas login domain, parent ID, student name, student ID, student Canvas ID, parent last activity date, student connection date, and blocked status (yes or no).