When you integrate a student information system (SIS) in Canvas, you can manage SIS validations and assignment sync settings for all subaccounts and courses.
Even after setting all assignments to be sent to the SIS, instructors can still manage assignments in their courses and manually remove individual assignments, graded discussions, or quizzes that they do not want to send to your SIS. Assignments can be managed from the Assignments page and Quizzes page, or they can be managed when creating an SIS assignment, SIS graded discussion, or SIS quiz. However, if any sync validations have been set, instructors must adapt their assignments to the validation settings.
- Student information systems must be configured by your Customer Success Manager. You cannot configure your SIS submissions unless a specific feature option is enabled for your account.
- This feature is only available if the New SIS Integration Settings feature option has been enabled for your account. Please note that the settings will not display unless the feature option has been set to On (not Allow). If the SIS Integration Settings feature option has not been enabled, you may still be able to enable SIS submissions in Account Settings.
- Learn more about feature options in the account features lesson.
View SIS Integration Settings
In the Account Settings tab, locate the SIS Integration Settings section.
Set SIS Friendly Name
If you want to show the name of your SIS provider in Canvas courses, enter the name in the SIS friendly name field. The name displays in the SIS checkbox in Canvas assignments, graded discussions, and quizzes. Your instructors may not be familiar with knowing what an SIS is, but they know the functionality of a setting identified for PowerSchool, for example.
Enable SIS Imports
If you want to allow users with SIS permissions to import CSV files from your student information system, click the SIS Imports checkbox.
Enable SIS Syncing
If you want to enable SIS syncing, click the SIS Syncing checkbox. This setting manages all workflows associated with sending SIS data back to your SIS provider.
View SIS Syncing Settings
You can enable four workflow settings with SIS Syncing. These settings set defaults for all assignments throughout all courses; however, course instructors ultimately manage which assignments are synced by selecting the Sync to SIS option in a graded assignment or the Sync to SIS toggle option in the Assignment Index Page.
Note: Currently this setting does not support syncing a final or midterm grade, which will be added in a future release.
Lock this Setting for Subaccounts . This setting locks all selected SIS Sync settings for subaccounts. Subaccount admins cannot change any SIS settings.
Default SIS Sync for Assignments, Quizzes, Graded Discussion . This setting displays the SIS Friendly Name in the Post to [SIS] checkbox in Canvas assignments, graded discussions, and quizzes. All graded assignments, graded discussions, and graded quizzes will be enabled to be passed back to the SIS by default. (In quizzes, this setting does not apply to practice quizzes and surveys.) The name of the SIS also displays in the checkbox when creating an assignment shell in the Assignments page.
Require Assignment Due Date . This checkbox is only visible with the Default SIS Sync for Assignments, Quizzes, Graded Discussion setting. This setting requires all assignments, graded discussions, and quizzes to include a due date. In a course, if a due date is not included in a graded assignment, Canvas will ask the user to add a due date. The assignment cannot be saved until the due date error is resolved or the Sync to SIS option is disabled for the assignment.
Due date validation is based on the assignment setup:
- If the assignment is assigned to Everyone, the due date is validated against the course date. If the course does not include a course override date, the assignment is validated against the term date.
- If the assignment is assigned to one or more sections, the due date is validated against the section date. If the section does not include a section override date, the assignment is validated against the course or term date.
- If the assignment is assigned to one or more students, the assignment is currently not validated.
- If the assignment is assigned to one or more students using MasteryPaths, the assignment is currently not validated.
Limit Assignment Names Lengths . This setting limits the assignment name to a specific number of characters, which should be based on the SIS provider’s length limit, if any. In the Characters field, enter the maximum number of allowed characters. In a course, if an assignment name exceeds the number of set characters, Canvas will notify the user that the assignment name is too longer. The assignment cannot be saved until the name length error is resolved or the Sync to SIS option is disabled for the assignment.
Note: If no number limit is entered, Canvas defaults to the maximum of 255 characters, regardless of whether the checkbox is selected.