Welcome to the Release Notes forum! Whether you're a veteran to the Canvas Community or just joined us for the first time, take a minute to learn about Release Notes and how they can help you have the best experience possible with Canvas.
What are release notes?
Canvas and its related products function in an agile environment, meaning new features and updates are released into various environments as often as every week. The purpose of this space is to keep you all informed with the latest and greatest functionality for all Canvas-related products. Release notes let you know exactly what to expect for a product release.
- Release notes are a piece of the Canvas release process that indicate upcoming changes to the Canvas production environment.
- Release notes do not indicate features that are currently in development or could be in development. Such features may be noted and explored in Ideas.
Release Notes Products
We publish release notes for every Instructure product in the Canvas Community: Canvas LMS, Canvas Catalog, Canvas Data, Canvas Studio, and all Canvas mobile apps.
Release Notes Frequency
The minimum frequency that you’ll see release notes are as follows:
- Release Notes: Canvas LMS: Every three weeks; release notes are published two weeks ahead of the production deploy (view the schedule for Canvas beta, production, and test environments)
- Releases: Canvas APIs: As needed as part of a related product release or deploy
- Release Notes: Catalog As needed with a two-week lead time
- Releases: Canvas Data Services: As needed with a two-week lead time for notable changes
- Release Notes: Mobile As needed—release notes are only published for new/updated features (e.g. version 5.0, 5.1); releases that only contain bug fixes (e.g. version 5.1.1) only publish notes in the app’s description
- Release Notes: Canvas Studio As needed
- Release Notes: Practice Every two weeks
Translated Release Notes
Canvas LMS release notes are translated into six languages:
- Spanish (Español)
- Portuguese - Brazilian (Português brasileiro)
- Norwegian (Norsk)
- Swedish (Svenska)
- Dutch (Nederlands)
- Traditional Chinese (繁體中文)
These notes will be available in the community the Monday following the Canvas production deploy in their respective subspaces.
How can I get release notes updates?
The Canvas Community makes it easy to get updates for one, several, or all Canvas products. You can follow a specific product release notes subspace, or you can set up custom activity streams to follow specific content updates by tags.
The easiest way to get updates is by following one or multiple product release notes subspaces. When you follow a subspace, you’ll be notified for all content published and/or updated in that subspace. Learn how to follow places in the Community.
Custom Activity Streams
You can also follow release notes by setting up custom activity streams. A custom activity stream allows you to customize the content that you want to follow across various subspaces without following each one individually.
- For product-specific release notes, use one or more of the following tags according to product:
- canvas release, catalog release, data release, mobile release (includes all mobile products), studio release, practice release
- To follow all written release notes:
- for English, use tag: release notes
- for other supported languages, use the tag of the language name, either in English or the native language (e.g. spanish or español)
- To follow screencasts (currently only published for Canvas release notes), use tag: screencast
How do I leave a comment about a release?
Since we're all about customer feedback, we welcome your comments and suggestions on every set of notes we post. Just make sure you are logged in to the community!
Generally comment feedback falls into one of three categories: General feedback, feedback about broken functionality, or feedback for feature enhancements. General feedback is welcome in release notes, while broken functionality and feature enhancements should be directed to their proper channels as noted in Canvas Community Feedback Guidelines.
We keep track of comments according to release, so a release notes post is open for comments until another post is made for the same product, at which time we'll close comments in the prior release notes. Closing comments isn't because we don't love you—Instructure moves pretty fast, so we want to make sure all your comments remain timely and matched with a release to help our product managers keep track of your suggestions for changes to product features. So it's just our way of helping us help you.
As release notes are meant to be as current as possible, comments in the release notes are also treated with the same policy. If your comment requires a resolution, we'll remove your comment from the release notes as soon as the relevant information is also updated in the release notes. This protocol helps us keep the release notes and their comments current for all users. You'll be able to view any changes to the release notes document in the release notes change log.
If your comment cannot be resolved before the next release notes document is published, we'll leave a comment letting you know the current status of your comment and how you can stay informed of updates.