The Gradebook includes several icons and colors that may display in the assignment columns, assignment groups, and Total column.
Icons and colors are simply gradebook indicators to assist you with course grading. All published assignments count toward a student's total grade unless they are excused assignments.
Submission Type Icons
The Gradebook displays one Assignment Icon , regardless of assignment type, to note a submission that needs to be graded. A submission is noted as needing to be graded in the following conditions:
- A submission has been received but has not been graded
- A submission was graded but the grade was removed by the instructor
- A submission was resubmitted
- A quiz was submitted, but is not fully graded (contains questions that must be manually graded, or an auto-submitted quiz score has been deleted and needs to be reassigned); can also display if a quiz has been edited and includes major changes that affect the quiz score, such as deleting questions or deleting quiz answers, and requires a grader to manually resolve
A muted assignment is indicated by the Muted Icon . When weighted assignment groups are not enabled, the total column also includes a warning icon notifying you that the grade you see differs from the grade the students see because one or more graded assignments are muted.
Each grading type shows up differently in the Gradebook. Here you can see how each grading type is represented:
- Dash : No submission
- Number : Points grade
- Check Icon : Complete grade
- X Icon : Incomplete grade
- Letter : Letter grade
- Percentage : Percentage grade
- GPA : GPA scale
- Excused : Excused assignment
Column Warning Icons
The Black Warning Icon  notifies you that the final score does not include one of the assignment groups because the group has zero points possible (the warning will tell you which assignment group is affected). This icon only displays in the total column related to assignment group errors.
You can correct the assignment group warnings by making sure a weighted assignment group has an assignment worth more than zero points, or, if an assignment is supposed to have zero points, adding another assignment with more than zero points to the assignment group.
The Red Warning Icon  notifies you that the entered grade is not supported in the grading scheme. Canvas will also display an invalid grade warning message when an invalid grade is entered.
Grade Detail Tray Warning Icon
The Grade Detail Tray Warning Icon displays a warning icon for assignments that are not calculated as part of the final grade. This icon displays if the Do not count this assignment towards the final grade option is selected, or if the assignment is in a weighted assignment group with no weighted percentage.
The New Gradebook includes a default set of colors that indicate various statuses for assignments:
- Blue : Late submission
- Red : Missing submission
- Green : Resubmitted assignment
- Orange : Dropped grade
- Yellow : Excused assignment
Status colors in your Gradebook may vary, as you can change the status colors for each status in the Gradebook. However, you cannot change the status names.
Gradebook rows alternate white and gray shading, so some colors may seem darker if they display in a row with gray shading.
When using differentiated assignments, the assignment appears as a column for all students, but grade cells are grayed out for students who are not part of the assignment and do not include a dash. Grades cannot be assigned to students who are not part of the assignment; those assignments are not factored into overall grades.
In the student grades page, students can only view assignments that have been assigned to them.
Differentiated assignments are also used in MasteryPaths.
Closed Grading Periods
If your course uses multiple grading periods, submission cells for an entire assignment in a closed grading period are grayed out in the Gradebook. Assignments in a closed grading period cannot be edited.
If you create a Turnitin assignment, the Gradebook displays Turnitin score icons in the Gradebook. To view details of the score, click the icon and view more details in SpeedGrader:
- Gray icon : Originality report has not been generated yet
- Color icon : Originality report has returned a score; the color is based on the originality percentage score