Canvas Update - 10th May 2018

Document created by Jesper Jensen Employee on May 15, 2018Last modified by Jesper Jensen Employee on May 15, 2018
Version 2Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

Hi all!

By now you all are aware that Canvas updates every three weeks. In the April release, there were some exciting updates related to teachers that I wanted to share with you. See attached file for some of the highlights.

This short week sees another Canvas update and an update to the Canvas teacher app. Highlights include an update to the “Customize this Menu” link in the Global Navigation menu which directs admins to the Help Menu section in the Account Settings page and the addition of two new permissions for allowing users to view primary email addresses and view login IDs.

The Canvas Teacher app now supports section-specific announcements, user files, opening external tools outside the app, and a Multiple Due Dates label for discussions. SpeedGrader supports updating grades by tapping the Return key on your mobile keyboard. 

NEWS

Exciting News! Instructure is partnering with Badgr

We are happy to announce that Badgr will be available to clients in the European Union and it will be hosted on a European AWS instance to comply with GDPR. Instructure is subsidizing a fee that would normally be charged for this service because we want this badging solution to be free just like Canvabadges.  

If you are still using Canvabadges, which has been a great free resource for the past seven years, it is going to be retired on 1st October 2018. We have partnered with Badgr to migrate and preserve all the Canvabadges badge information.  Canvabadges users will be able to use Badgr for Canvas to continue their badging programs.

EVENTS

Product Webinars with Sidharth Oberoi

Topic: Updates to Outcomes (COMPLETED)

Here is the recording of the session

Topic: Updates to Gradebook (COMPLETED)

Here is the recording of the session

Topic: Granular Permissions

Date: 28th June 2018, 3 pm - 3:30 pm

Topic: Analytics 2

Date: 27th September 2018, 3 pm - 3:30 pm

Topic: TBD

Date: 25th October 2018, 3 pm - 3:30 pm

Topic: TBD

Date: 29th November 2018, 3 pm - 3:30 pm

Webinar room: https://instructure.bluejeans.com/309430956

ALL WELCOME TO JOIN!

General Events

Big Top bridge - 22nd - 24th July 2018

InstructureCarn 2018 - 24th to 26th July

CanvasCon Europe, 9th October 2018

(Save the Date)

PRODUCT

SIS File Refactor 

On 2nd June 2018 the SIS File Refactor account-level feature option will be enabled for all institutions. This change benefits institutions with large SIS imports, provides more detailed error and troubleshooting information and allows for future SIS Import engineering improvements. Learn more about the SIS File Refactor in here.

Course and People Search 

Also on 2nd June 2018, the Course and People Search account-level feature option will be enabled for all institutions. This change allows admins to more easily navigate courses and users in a Canvas account. Learn more about Course and People Search in the Canvas Production Release Notes (2018-03-10).

Canvas Roadmap

Other Instructure Products

NB: All estimated delivery times are subject to change!

COMMUNITY

CanvasLive

If you are interested in doing your own CanvasLive session, please register your interest here and of course let me know.

Event Tip!

Always RSVP to an event (whether it's yes/no/maybe). It's a great way to get updates about this session, participate in follow-up discussions, and be notified of upcoming events similar to this topic or with this host. (NOTE: You must activate your community account before RSVPing to any CanvasLIVE event.)

Blog Posts

How to Fix and Prevent Accessibility Issues in Your Canvas Course

Here is a handout with tips for addressing accessibility issues in a Canvas course after the fact or before the fact.  Read more

4 Tools for Checking Your Canvas Course for Errors

Sometimes I'll forget about one or more of these tools when building a course, so I thought I'd list them here as a reminder for others, too.  Use all of these tools both while you are building your Canvas course and after you build your course. Read more

Canvas Parent 2.0!

I mentioned in our recent Canvas Mobile Update post that we’re going to improve everybody’s experience with the parent app by changing the way authentication works. This post will provide a deeper dive into what that means. Read more

RESOURCES

Useful Information

Regards,

Your CSM Team

Outcomes