Scoping Your Canvas Training
Review this document ahead of your scoping call, to enable you and your trainer to plan a training session that will best meet your needs.
- Attendees: sessions should target users of similar experience, understanding of Canvas, or who have the same role in the institution. We suggest a maximum of 20 attendees so that there is time for hands-on, discussion and questions; all of which help keep attendees engaged and build confidence with the tools covered.
- Timings: A normal day of training is 6 hours e.g. 09:00 - 16:00, with a 60-minute lunch break (and short comfort breaks in AM and PM)
- Topics: We provide training on Canvas, and your trainer will help build an agenda based on the Canvas tools of your choice (see below). You should let the trainer know of any institutional policies or recommendations for how Canvas is to be used.
Note: we provide training on Canvas, not on integrations or third-party Apps/LTIs.
Things To Consider
- What are you hoping to achieve within this training?
- What do you feel must happen for it to be a success?
- Attendees: How would you like to tailor the training to meet the needs of your invited audience?
- What is their role within the organisation? What will they be using Canvas for?
- What experience will attendees have had with Canvas before attending?
- What are their expectations of Canvas, and of the training?
- How do you want to structure your time?
- The same session delivered multiple times to different groups?
- Different sessions working with the same group?
- Where will the training/sessions take place?
Canvas Training “Menu”
This is a listing of the possible topics that can be covered during Canvas training.
Getting Started with Teaching in Canvas
Course-Flow and Organization
Controlling Access to Content
Structuring Content Delivery
Building Course Content
Rich Content Editor
Quizzes & Surveys
Grading and Feedback Tools
Digging Deeper with Teaching in Canvas
Canvas Quizzes - Advanced
Collaborations in Canvas
Group Sets and Groups
Mastery Paths Feature
Building Mastery Paths
Outcome: Participants will be able to customise the learning experiences of students based on performance. They will be able to differentiate Assignments for students to complete required learning, optional learning, or choosing their own content and assignments.
Managing Canvas as an Administrator
Courses & Terms
Managing Users and Settings
Roles & Permissions
Statistics and Shared Resources
Importing and Searching
Outcome: Canvas Admins will be able to configure the access that their users have to the public and shared Commons resources; users will know how to find and share items from and to the Commons.
Supporting Canvas as an Administrator
Canvas Support Overview
Reporting Problems with Canvas
Outcome: Participants will be able to access the Service Cloud ticketing system to review and answer tickets from their users (where appropriate).
Canvas Training [Example 1 Day Agenda aimed at Teachers]
This is an example agenda for teaching staff starting with Canvas. You may wish to use the agenda as-is, or work with your trainer to customise the content.
Morning [09:00 - 12:00]
Introductions, Objectives and Context
Lunch [12:00 - 13:00]
Afternoon [13:00 - 16:00]