Analytics Beta: FAQ

Document created by Renee Carney Administrator on Oct 29, 2018Last modified by Erin Hallmark on Nov 13, 2018
Version 9Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

Official User Group Document

Canvas + Logo transparent (WHITE)- 300px.png

I don't see Analytics Beta in Course Navigation. Where is it?

By default, Analytics Beta is Hidden. To make this visible, click Settings in your course nav, go to the Navigation tab, drag Analytics Beta from the Hidden section.

Why can't I see data in Analytics Beta?

If Analytics Beta is the first LTI you add to a course, then it will take up to 24 hours after initial launch for data to display. 

What do Last Interaction and Last Activity mean?

• Last Interaction - The date of last participation prior to the course concluding
  • Last Activity - The date of last page view prior to the course concluding

How is Average Grade calculated?

The Average Grade is the average of all student totals from the Gradebook.

Will students be able to see Analytics Beta?

Not at this time. 

How do I delete Analytics Beta for my institution?

Canvas admins may choose to remove the Analytics Beta LTI tool in Account Settings.

I just created an assignment—why isn’t it showing up in Analytics Beta?

In order to ensure a responsive and scalable experience for users, the new Analytics Beta data refreshes every 24 hours. A time stamp is included above the chart indicating when the last refresh was completed.

How does the Course Grades chart order assignments?

Assignments are displayed by due date with the most recent due date on the right. Assignments without a due date are on the far right.

Are role access rules different with Analytics Beta?

All role access permissions with Analytics Beta mirror the permissions of the current Analytics. However, custom role verification is currently a known issue. We will update the Community as soon as it is resolved. For more information, please see the Analytics Beta: Known Issues page.

Are page views and participations for mobile included in Analytics Beta?

Yes, page views and participation metrics include an aggregate across all devices used, including canvas mobile apps.

Use of the tool will not change the underlying data. Users will be able to send messages directly from Analytics, which may increase the use of messages. However, the data itself is not affected.

Why is Analytics Beta not loading for very large courses?

The dimensions that affect Canvas performance are student enrollment and assignments. Courses can be large in either or both of those dimensions. To test the scalability of Analytics we use a metric we call course weight, which is calculated simply by multiplying the number of students by the number of assignments: Course Weight = # of Students X # of Assignments.

For our testing we successfully tested up to a course weight of 50,000. Any courses with a higher course weight are not supported. However, any loading behavior in courses with a course weight of less than 50,000 (which is 99.7% of all courses in Canvas) should be reported to the Canvas support team.

How can I provide feedback for Analytics Beta?

The Analytics Beta User Group is a great place to provide feedback to the product and design teams and to stage engaged with upcoming releases.

Are dropped students included in Analytics Beta data?

Only enrolled, active students are included in data for Analytics Beta.

What is coming up next for Analytics Beta?

The roadmap for Analytics Beta includes the following upcoming releases:

• Weekly Online Activity
  • Student View

Available updates for these releases will be noted in the Analytics Beta User Group home page.

1 person found this helpful

Attachments

Outcomes