I have always appreciated that Canvas takes accessibility seriously, as evidenced in their Voluntary Product Accessibility Template, community efforts and frequent mentions of accessibility in their release notes it is clear that accessibility of the product is a priority.
That said, there are also lots of opportunities for additional features impacting students with disabilities to be developed. While you can find many of these ideas in the Canvas Studio searching for the #accessibility tag, this document can hopefully be a resource to help organize and track some of those features. This document is open to anyone to edit so feel free to add any features that have been missed or leave a note in the comments.
If you agree with any of the feature ideas below please take a minute to add your vote. Also, if you have ideas for additional features that have not been added please to add a new feature and add the link below!
Accessibility Feature Request Resources
- How does the feature idea process work in the Canvas Community?
- Accessibility Group
- Feature ideas tagged with accessibility, disability, or accommodation.
- Canvas/ATHEN Accessibility Community (contact Terrill Thompson to join)
Features Sorted by Component
Rich Text Editor
Assistive Technology Support
- Change to standardized video player controls
- Captioning in Arc at the Bottom of the Video
- Closed Caption editing in ARC
- Improve Student DocViewer Comment View/Accessibility
- Reflow accessibility feature in the PDF viewer in Canvas Student App
Completed Accessibility Features
- Always allow extra time for specific students (IEP, LEP, etc.)
- Images – Easier Way to add ALT Text
- Alt Text "Decorative Image" Option in Rich Content Editor
- High Contrast Toggle
- Change Color of Help Menu Font
- Scroll bar tone
- Ability to Moderate a Quizzes.Next Quiz Before a Student Accesses a Quiz