In this lesson you’ll learn how to create grading scales, learning standards, rubrics, and question banks for users in your account. The items you create in this lesson standardize learning expectations for student growth and learning measurements. Instructors, course designers, and others who manage course content in your account will have access to these items for use in their courses.
What is a grading scheme?
A grading scheme is a set of criteria used to measure student achievement in a course. Without a grading scheme, student scores are not measured against a specific standard.
Account Grading Schemes
To access your account grading schemes page, click the Grading link in Account Navigation . Then click the Grading Schemes tab .
Create a Grading Scheme
To add a grading scheme, click the Add grading scheme button.
Grading schemes are built based on percentage ranges, which are each assigned a name value. To create your grading scheme:
- Enter a name for your grading scheme
- Edit the name for each percentage range
- Edit the percentage range for each item
- Click the Save button
Once a grading scheme is created for your account, it can be linked to courses. However, once a grading scheme has been used to assess a student, the scheme cannot be edited.
What are outcomes?
Outcomes are statements that describe the knowledge and skills that learners will develop during a course or program. As an admin, you can create outcomes at the account level that instructors may use to measure student progress in a course in your account.
Create Outcome Groups
To create an outcome group for your account outcomes:
- Click the Add Group button.
- Type a name for the group in the New Outcome Group field.
- Provide a description for the outcome group in the Describe this group field.
- Click the Save button.
To create an outcome within your outcome group:
- Click the Add Outcome button.
- Type a name for the outcome in the New Outcome field.
- Type a description for the outcome in the Describe this outcome field.
- Click the Edit icon to edit criterion rating names and points.
- Enter a Mastery at value.
- Set Calculation method options.
- Click the Save button.
Learn more about creating an outcome.
You can also import outcomes to your account using a CSV file upload. View the required Outcomes CSV format.
Once your CSV file is correctly configured, click the Import button.
Drag and drop your CSV file to the upload area or click in the upload area to choose a file from your computer.
Learn more about importing outcomes to your account.
What is a rubric?
A rubric is an assessment tool for communicating expectations and measuring student mastery on a course assignment or assessment. Rubrics are typically comprised of rows and columns. Assessed criteria are defined in rows. Columns are used to define levels of performance for each criterion.
To access the rubrics page in your account, click the Outcomes link in Account Navigation . Then click the Manage Rubrics button .
To create a rubric:
- Click the Add Rubric button.
- Enter a title in the Title field.
- Click the Edit icon to edit criteria names and ratings
- Click the Add Criterion link to add new criterion or duplicate existing criterion in the rubric.
- Click the Find Outcome link to add outcomes to the rubric.
- When done, click the Create Rubric button.
What are question banks?
Question banks are quiz question repositories. When creating a quiz, users can access question bank questions, making it easier to offer the same quiz questions to students in different courses.
Account Question Banks
To access the Question Banks page in your course, click the Question Banks link in Account Navigation.
Add Question Bank
You must create a new question bank before creating quiz questions.
- Click the Add Question Bank button.
- Enter a name in the Bank Name field.
- Press Enter on your PC or Return on your Mac.
Add Questions to Question Bank
To add a question to your question bank, click the bank name.
The Canvas Community is an online community of Canvas users from around the world. It houses a space for Questions and Answers about Canvas and a variety of groups, including the Canvas Administration group.
Up Next in Lesson 5: My Account's Brand and Functionality
In the next lesson, you’ll learn about how you can customize the look and functionality of your account for all users.
- Canvas can be customized to the look and feel of your institution.
- Using the Canvas Theme Editor, you can give Canvas the facelift it needs to fit in with your institution either by manually updating branding themes or with CSS or JS uploads.
Canvas Feature Options
- Each institution is unique, and Canvas functionality should match the needs of your institution.
- You can enable Canvas feature options for accounts and courses at your institution.
- Canvas can integrate with a variety of specialized teaching and learning tools to make education more fun, interesting, applicable, and memorable.
- You can enable external tools for your entire account.