Canvas developed an automated infrastructure integration between the two systems for provisioning (rostering) and grade passback, utilizing APIs made available from SIF agent 2.0. SIF agent 2.0 enables a bi-directional transaction to provision data to Canvas, and post grades back to PowerSchool.
This article gives an overview of the Canvas and PowerSchool integration.
The bi-directional SIF integration breaks down as follows:
- Provisioning: a one-way transfer from PowerSchool SIF agent to Canvas. As you make changes to users, courses, enrollments, etc. in PowerSchool, those changes will be reflected in Canvas with your nightly sync.
- Grade passback (GPB): a one-way transfer from Canvas to PowerSchool using your PowerSchool SIF agent. As you make changes to your grades and assignments in Canvas, those changes will be sent to PowerSchool when synced from the Canvas gradebook. SIF agent provisioning is required for GPB functionality.
- Graded Assignments
- Graded Quizzes
- Graded Discussions
- Assignment-level scores (grades)
PowerSchool Integration Prerequisites
- Canvas will create a cloud for your team to connect to and we will send you the needed credentials to connect.
- Once your team receives the credentials, your team will need to setup the SIF agent and connect to the cloud.
- If you are converting from one SIS to another, or are transitioning from from a different integration, our team will need to perform an evaluation against your data. Our team will let you know if we have concerns about converting.
Known PowerSchool Integration Limitations
- Creating parent accounts is not possible.
If you are interested in enabling the PowerSchool Integration for provisioning, please contact your Customer Success Manager (CSM) for consideration.