Canvas and Aeries developed an automated integration between the two systems for provisioning (rostering) and grade passback, utilizing APIs made available from OneRoster 1.1. OneRoster enables a bi-directional transaction to provision data to Canvas, and post grades back to Aeries.
This article gives an overview of the Canvas and Aeries integration.
The bi-directional OneRoster integration breaks down as follows:
- Provisioning: a one-way transfer from your SIS's OneRoster 1.1 API to Canvas. As you make changes to users, courses, enrollments, ect. in your SIS, those changes will be reflected in Canvas with your nightly sync.
- Grade passback (GPB): a one-way transfer from Canvas to your SIS using OneRoster 1.1 API. As you make changes to your grades and assignments in Canvas, those changes will be sent to your SIS when synced from the Canvas gradebook. OneRoster provisioning is required for GPB functionality.
- Graded Assignments
- Graded Quizzes
- Graded Discussions
- Assignment-level scores (grades)
Aeries Integration Prerequisites
- Request your OneRoster 1.1 credentials from Aeries. Your OneRoster credentials (API URL, client key, and client secret) should be sent to us securely via a Canvas-provided link.
- Once our team receives your OneRoster 1.1 credentials, we will check our ability to connect.
- If you are converting from one SIS to another, or are transitioning from from a different integration, our team will need to perform an evaluation against your data. Our team will let you know if we have concerns about converting.
Known Aeries Integration Limitations
Time-based gradebook linking (1) in Aeries is supported for Canvas grade passback. However, linked course gradebooks (2) in Aeries are not supported for Canvas grade passback.
- Supported Example: Linking a Fall and Spring semester gradebook for the same Biology course in Aeries would allow grade passback from Canvas to Aeries.
- Not Supported Example: Linking a Biology course gradebook with an English course gradebook in Aeries will not allow grade passback from Canvas to Aeries.
If you are interested in enabling the Aeries Integration for provisioning, please contact your Customer Success Manager (CSM) for consideration.