SIStemic Grade Passback (GPB)

Document created by Abby Adams Employee on Nov 18, 2019Last modified by Abby Adams Employee on Nov 19, 2019
Version 3Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

The information below shows how to pass graded Canvas assignments back to your Student Information System (SIS). 

This guide includes three parts:  

1. Part I - How do I properly name my Canvas assignment groups?
  2. Part II - How do I set up an assignment to be sent to my SIS?
  3. Part III - How do I sync grades from Canvas to my SIS gradebook?

Part I - How do I properly name my Canvas assignment groups?

Open Assignments

Open Assignments

In Course Navigation, click the Assignments link.

Add Assignment Group

Add Assignment Group

Click the +Group button on the upper right-hand side.

Create Assignment Group

Type the Assignment Group Name in the Group Name field. Canvas Assignment Group names must match the name of each category you have in your SIS gradebook exactly. For example, if you have four categories in your SIS gradebook, such as Homework, Tests, Participation, and Written Response, you will need to have those exact same titles as assignment groups in Canvas. 

Save Assignment Group

Save Assignment Group

Click the Save button.

View Assignment Group

View Assignment Group

View your Assignment Group.

Learn how to create assignment shells and assignments for your Assignment Group.  

Manage Assignment Group

Manage Assignment Group

To manage an assignment group, click the group's Options drop-down menu [1].

To edit the Assignment Group, click the Edit link [2]. You can edit the Assignment Group name and the weighted percentage (if applicable). After you've added assignments to your Assignment Group, you can also edit the Assignment Group to set Assignment Group rules.  

To delete the Assignment Group, click the Delete link [3].

Tomove all content from an assignment group into another group, click the Move Contents link [4]. 

Tomove or reorder an assignment group on the Assignments page, click the Move Groups link [5].

Part II - How do I set up an assignment to be sent to my SIS? 

Open Assignments

*The following steps also apply to Quizzes and graded Discussions. 

Open Assignments

In Course Navigation, click the Assignments link.

Add Assignment

Add Assignment

Click the +Assignment (or Quiz or Discussion) button on the right-hand upper corner.

Edit Assignment

Edit Assignment

To edit an assignment that has already been created, click the name of the assignment [1] and then click the Edit button [2].

Sync to SIS

Sync to SIS

In the assignment details, check the Sync to SIS checkbox. *The SIS label may display the name of your institution's SIS.

The SIS option is not available for Non-Graded assignment types.

Save Assignment

Save Assignment

Click the Save button.

Note: For new assignments, you can click the Save & Publish button.

View Assignment Errors

View Assignment Errors

If you cannot save your assignment and you receive an error message, check your assignment name and/or required due dates. Assignment names cannot be longer than 30-50 characters (varies by your SIS) to pass back to your SIS, and a due dates is also required for "Everyone." The error will show which requirement needs to be resolved before the assignment can be enabled to be synced to your SIS. Correct the error then save the assignment again.

Part III - How do I sync grades from Canvas to my SIS gradebook?

Open Grades

Open Grades

In Course Navigation, click the Grades link.

Sync Grades

If you are using the new Canvas gradebook, click the Actions menu and select the option to sync to your SIS.

If you are using the legacy Canvas gradebook, click the Export menu instead.

Post Grades

By default, all your assignment grades will be selected to passback to your SIS. If you want only selected assignments to pass to your SIS, deselect the assignments you do not want, or click that box at the top to deselect all, and then select the assignments you want to pass grades back for. Once you have selected your assignments, click the Post Grades button. 

After clicking Post Grades, the pop-up will change to say, "Scheduled. Click to see progress." By clicking on "click to see progress" text, you will be redirected within your Canvas course to the Grade Sync tab.

Grade Sync

The Grade Sync page is where you can view the status of your grade sync. You can see when you started the sync to your SIS, what stage (out of five) that the process is in, its completion status, as well as how many assignments you sent at a time. 

Attachments

Outcomes