Canvas and Sapphire developed an automated integration between the two systems for provisioning (rostering) by using APIs made available from OneRoster 1.1. OneRoster enables a bi-directional transaction to provision data to Canvas, with grade passback coming in the future.
This article gives an overview of the Canvas and Sapphire integration.
The bi-directional OneRoster integration breaks down as follows:
- Provisioning: a one-way transfer from Sapphire's OneRoster 1.1 API to Canvas. As you make changes to users, courses, enrollments, etc. in Sapphire, those changes will be reflected in Canvas with your nightly sync.
- Grade passback (GPB): Grade passback is currently in beta. Please contact your Customer Success Manager (CSM) with questions about Sapphire GPB.
- Grade passback is still in a testing phase and is not general availability
Sapphire Integration Prerequisites
- Request your OneRoster 1.1 credentials from Sapphire. Licensing may be required by Sapphire. Please talk to your SIS provider for additional information. Your OneRoster credentials (API URL, client key, and client secret) should be sent to us securely via a Canvas-provided link.
- Once our team receives your OneRoster 1.1 credentials, we will check our ability to connect.
- If you are converting from one SIS to another, or are transitioning from a different integration, our team will need to perform an evaluation against your data. Our team will let you know if we have concerns about converting.
Known Sapphire Integration Limitations
- If we are filtering data by school and a user moves from one school to another, the user account will be deleted and restored.
- Because courses in Sapphire may span multiple terms, we create terms in Canvas with the dates from Sapphire’s terms.
If you are interested in enabling the Sapphire Integration for provisioning, please contact your Customer Success Manager (CSM) for consideration.