Canvas and Edupoint (Synergy) have developed an automated integration between the two systems for provisioning (rostering) and grade passback, utilizing APIs made available from OneRoster 1.1. OneRoster enables a bi-directional transaction to provision data to Canvas, and post grades back to Synergy.
This article gives an overview of the Canvas and Synergy integration.
The bi-directional OneRoster integration breaks down as follows:
- Provisioning: a one-way transfer from Synergy OneRoster 1.1 API to Canvas. As you make changes to users, courses, enrollments, ect. in Synergy, those changes will be reflected in Canvas with your nightly sync.
- Grade passback (GPB): a one-way transfer from Canvas to Synergy using OneRoster 1.1 API. As you make changes to your grades and assignments in Canvas, those changes will be sent to Synergy when synced from the Canvas gradebook. OneRoster provisioning is required for GPB functionality.
- Graded Assignments
- Graded Quizzes
- Graded Discussions
- Assignment-level scores (grades)
Synergy Integration Prerequisites
- Request your OneRoster 1.1 credentials from Synergy. Licensing may be required by your SIS. Please talk to your SIS provider for additional information. Your OneRoster credentials (API URL, client key, and client secret) should be sent to us securely via a Canvas-provided link.
- Once our team receives your OneRoster 1.1 credentials, we will check our ability to connect.
- If you are converting from one SIS to another, or are transitioning from a different integration, our team will need to perform an evaluation against your data. Our team will let you know if we have concerns about converting.
Known Synergy Integration Limitations
Classes are limited to those that are available in the Synergy grade book. If they are not available in the grade book they will not be made available for us to provision.
- Example: A professional development course for staff not using the Synergy grade book will not be provisioned.
If you are interested in enabling the Synergy Integration for provisioning, please contact your Customer Success Manager (CSM) for consideration.