What should I do if my CNAME website isn't working with Portfolium?

Document created by Canvas Doc Team Employee on Mar 25, 2020Last modified by jivedocs@instructure.com on Mar 25, 2020
Version 4Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

We're sorry to see that your custom version of Portfolium on your school's website isn't working. If you have additional questions, please submit a ticket to our Support team.

Set Up Custom Portfolium

To set up your custom version of Portfolium on your school's website, please have your IT department do the following:

Create a CNAME record for "portfolios.YOURDOMAIN.edu" and point it to "cname.portfolium.com".

Depending on the TTL settings on your DNS, then open the URL "portfolios.YOURDOMAIN.edu" in your  browser. Usually DNS updates work within 30 minutes, but may take up to 24 hours.

Troubleshoot CNAME

Create a hyperlink to "portfolios.YOURDOMAIN.edu" on your school's website.

To help troubleshoot what's going on, run the following command (these instructions are meant for Linux/OSX based systems):

Run:

host -t cname portfolios.YOURDOMAIN.edu

You should see something like:

portfolios.YOURDOMAIN.edu is an alias for cname.portfolium.com.

Troubleshoot Error

If the DNS configuration for the CNAME record was not properly configured, you may see an error message like this:

Host portfolios.calpoly.edu not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

Let's use CSU Cal Poly as an example:

host -t cname portfolios.calpoly.edu

portfolios.calpoly.edu is an alias for cname.portfolium.com.

You are here

Table of Contents > Introduction > What should I do if my CNAME website isn't working with Portfolium?

Attachments

Outcomes