As an instructor, this document will help you become familiar with the basics of Canvas. All of these lessons are part of the Canvas Guides, but we've selected these lessons into a getting started guide to help you on your way!
You can also find these lessons by searching the Canvas Guides and filtering by the getting started tag.
Get Started with Canvas
- Where can I find a list of Canvas terminology?
- How do I sign up for a Canvas account as an instructor?
- How do I log in to Canvas?
- How do I use the Dashboard?
- How do I view my Canvas courses?
- How do I use the Course Home Page as an instructor?
- How do I start a new course?
- Will Canvas work on my mobile device?
- What are Profile and User Settings?
- How do I set my Canvas notification preferences?
- How do I connect to web services outside of Canvas?
- How do I customize my Courses list?
- How do I change the language preference in my user account?
Organize a Course
- What is the Course Setup Checklist?
- How do I change the Course Home Page?
- How do I reorder and hide Course Navigation links?
- What are the Canvas settings at the course level?
Add Course Content
- How do I upload a file to a course?
- How do I create a new page in a course?
- What is the Rich Content Editor?
- How do I create a module?
- What assignment types are available in Canvas courses?
- How do I create an assignment shell in an assignment group?
- What quiz types are available in Canvas courses?
- How do I create a quiz with individual questions?
- How do I create a discussion as an instructor?
- How do I use the Syllabus as an instructor?
- How do I use the Calendar?
Work with Grades and People
- How do I enter and edit scores in the Gradebook?
- What is SpeedGrader?
- How do I add users to a course?
- How do I use the People page as an instructor?