How do I masquerade as a user in the Canvas app on my iOS device?

Document created by Canvas Doc Team Employee on Apr 19, 2017Last modified by Canvas Doc Team Employee on Sep 9, 2017
Version 5Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

Masquerading, or becoming a user, allows admins to login as the user without a password. There are some limitations. You can take any action as though you are the user but the audit logs will show that you performed the tasks while masquerading. Only admins with the correct permissions can masquerade as other users.

You can masquerade via the course People page of a course where you are enrolled. If you are not enrolled in any courses, you can masquerade via your Profile page. To masquerade via your Profile, you must know the user's ID to masquerade. Make sure you have the user's ID associated with the correct Canvas URL.

The images in this lesson are shown for a phone display, but unless otherwise noted, tablet displays mirror the same steps.

Note: When masquerading as a user, language preferences do not apply and will always be shown in the default language.

Masquerade via Course

Masquerade via Course

To masquerade as a user through a course, in the Courses tab, tap the name of the course you'd like to view.

Open People

Open People

Tap the People link.

Open User Details

Open User Details

Tap the name of the user.

Open Masquerade Feature

Open Masquerade Feature

Anywhere in the profile page, double tap with two fingers.

Masquerade

Masquerade

Tap the Masquerade button.

Masquerade via Profile

Masquerade via Profile

To masquerade via your Profile, tap the Profile icon.

Open Masquerade Feature

Open Masquerade Feature

At the bottom of the Profile window, double tap with two fingers.

Enter User ID

Enter User ID

In the User ID field [1], enter the Canvas ID number for the user. The domain will already be populated for you. Tap the Masquerade button [2].

Note: The user's Canvas ID can be found as part of the user's URL in the web version of Canvas. Make sure you have the user's ID associated with the correct Canvas URL (and the URL that you used to log in to the Canvas app).

Masquerade as User

Masquerade as User

Confirm that you are masquerading as your user. Tap the OK button.

Stop Masquerading

Stop Masquerading

To stop masquerading, tap the profile icon and tap the Stop Masquerading link.

You are here
Table of Contents > Admin Only > How do I masquerade as a user in the Canvas app on my iOS device?

Attachments

Outcomes