When I studied the comparison table between Old vs New Quizzes, I thought to myself: If quizzes can be exported, why not individual assignments? They should. Here is a viable solution to export/import a New Quiz.
For this blog post, call the old course Course A and the new course Course B.
- In Course A, create a new quiz in Canvas using the +Assignment or +Quiz/Test buttons.
- Once you arrive at the New Quizzes Build page, write a custom message in the instructions to let yourself know that the import operation worked.
- Unlike Old Quizzes, if you are going to export even a single assignment or page, you must export the entire course. To do so, follow the instructions in this article (How do I export a Canvas course?).
- Once the export is complete, download the file (it expires 30 days after the export has completed) and save it to somewhere you remember.
- Go to Course B, and follow the instructions there to import your course content (How do I import a Canvas course export package?).
- Before you get too far, in the Content section, select the option Select specific content, because you're NOT going to import all of the data. Then click Import.
- After a few minutes, the status will show Waiting for Selection. Now click Select Content to choose the data you want to import.
- For this example, since our title is Migrating New Quizzes, we check this option only. Leave all other items unchecked. Click Select Content to continue.
(Keep in mind, assignment groups will have a folder icon next to it.)
- Wait for the import to finish and return a green Completed status. If it is red or orange, read the issues and try again.
- Verify that the imported New Quiz appears in the Assignments page in Course B. The process is not over yet! We still need to check if the quiz data has been imported or not.
- After you arrive at the New Quizzes Build page in Course B, you should see the message you created when you made the New Quiz in Course A. That's it!
You can only export and import New Quizzes assignments within the same institution. If you have Canvas accounts from different institutions, you cannot use this method to export from one institution and import to another institution, even though it is possible to edit the external tool URL to match that of the other institution, as instructions and questions will not import correctly. I've tested with New Quizzes imported from Canvas Commons that were created by other institutions. Even though the import succeeds, the operation failed, since it couldn't find the valid settings for the New Quizzes LTI link.