After testing out various free open book platforms with an instructor, we selected Pressbooks as a user-friendly platform for her to create an open book. Once the book was created (educ2010.pressbooks.com), we tested various methods of placing it in Canvas which are demonstrated in this course:
Directions for the Examples:
- Use the Redirect Tool app to add the book to the course navigation menu.
- Add the book as an External URL to a module: How do I add an external URL as a module item?
- Add the textbook chapters as External URL's to a module: How do I add an external URL as a module item?
- Export the PDF from Pressbooks and add the PDF to a module as a File or Page. On the Pressbooks Dashboard: Select Export>PDF (for print)>Export Your Book. Download the PDF. Then, add the exported PDF to a Canvas module as a File or as a hyperlink on a Page:
How do I add assignment types, pages, and files as module items?
How do I create a file link in a page in a course?
- Copy and Paste a Pressbooks page into Canvas. Review after pasting on a page to ensure formatting is correct and images remain linked. If you upload the images to Pressbooks while creating your book, they remain linked when copying/pasting to a Canvas page.
A few students may want to print portions of an online textbook