Provide a button option in quiz settings that says: save and resume later.

(3)

If students are working on a quiz over a period of more than one sitting, and they want to save their work, at present they must refrain from using the "Submit" button and simply stop using the quiz. Thereafter, they may resume the quiz at another time by hitting the "Resume Quiz" button--but only if they have NOT hit "Submit." It would be much less confusing if there were simply another button at the bottom of the quiz that says: "Save and submit later." In the settings of the quiz, the teacher should have the option to choose to make this "Save and submit later" button operable.

12 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thank you for submitting this idea,  @sswift ‌. I found some associated ideas for your further consideration:

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/9826-review-before-submitting (open for voting)

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/3341-warning-when-submitting-quiz-not-based-on-timing (open for voting and currently in Product Radar status)

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/3434-resume-quiz-from-previous-attempt-option (also open for voting and on Product Radar, proposed here as a possible remedy in the event the student submits too soon)

anthony_ling
Community Novice

Can't find the "Save and Submit Later" button in the Quiz Setup.

awilliams
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi  @anthony_ling  Welcometo the Canvas Community. I think you are offering support for the idea of a "Save and Submit Later" option for students in Canvas quizzes. If so, thank you for your participation!

I could be wrong though, so for good measure, if you needed help with quiz setup as an instructor I would recommend the Canvas Instructor Guides on Quizzes. Thanks for joining and participating and I look forward to seeing you around!

cms_hickss
Community Contributor

I'm not sure how I feel about this. It would make it a lot easier for students to cheat by accessing the quiz --especially a timed quiz if this stops the clock from running-- looking at all the questions (if not delivered one at a time) and then hitting the "save and submit later". Finding all the answers and then coming back in.

It would also make it harder, unless the page views and logs are very clear about when a student clicked what button (start, pause, resume, submit) and when. Especially when students say/claim: the timer sped up, it submitted automatically, I didn't click submit, and so forth.

anthony_ling
Community Novice

Hi Adam

I was wanting to find out if there is a feature on Canvas that would allow students to save and submit later. As my quiz is just a formative assessment, and does not have a time limit, so it would be good to have this feature, so that students can attend to other important things, if necessary.

Kind regards

Anthony

Anthony Ling

Tutor, Business Management Programmes

t. 0508 626 243 | e. anthony.ling@aspire2.ac.nz

w. aspire2.co.nz

awilliams
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks for the follow-up Anthony. Currently, for your quiz, students should be able to leave the quiz and resume at a later time, provided they don't submit the quiz. This idea is seeking to add a formal method for students to leave the quiz and I think in such a way as to help prevent students from accidentally submitting the quiz before they intended to. If you have additional questions feel free to search or ask in the main Find Answers‌ space of the Community as well. Cheers!

erinpac1
Community Novice

I think the idea is that the button would be an option, not always there.  So, it wouldn't be an option that you'd want to choose for timed quizzes.  I think for not timed, it is better than the current behavior - simply leaving the quiz saves it, and eventually, when the quiz closes, it submits.  I've had students reopen a quiz for a second try, decide not to complete it, and then at the end of the quiz period, they suddenly get a blank submission overwriting their original attempt (when using 'last submission').

justinehoch
Community Member

We need a way for students to save their progress on Assessments. I have students with 200% extended time who need to be able to resume a quiz/test from the day before WITHOUT is being erased. 

justinehoch
Community Member

My problem is that the program crashed and my students had to re-start their test all over again. Some of them were even unfortunate enough to get an entirely new test. 

elizabetha_mosl
Community Explorer

We need the ability for a student to pause their test and restart later.  I need a digital equivalent of this in-person exchange:

Student (at the end of class hands in their test): I didn't get to finish.

Me: Come see me tomorrow during tutoring and you can finish it then.

This shouldn't be that hard.

poe14312
Community Member

Yes!  We need a "save for later" button.  Maybe something that can be selected when we set up a quiz.  Not everything needs a save for later button.  But, our unit tests sometimes cannot be finished in one class period by students who receive extended time.  Also, with the state of safety and all of the drills that we have during the school day, when an alarm goes off, a "save for later" button would be nice to be able to utilize, complete the safety drill, and come back to the assessment.

I see that this has been an idea for a handful of years now.  Is this not possible??  Other assessment platforms that I have used in the past have had this option.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.