Need Microsoft Stream as an app to replace Office Mix app

(1)

Must admit to being caught flat-footed a bit when I found out in early October that Office Mix was going away. You see, while I had been using Office Mix to make videos for my traditional and online classes for quite some time, I had only discovered this fall that Office Mix was actually offered as an app in Canvas. This was a gamechanger for me -- now I could embed quizzes in my videos and not have to go outside of Canvas to see whether students were answering and/or how they were doing. The fact that I could link my Mix videos to the Canvas gradebook gave me a new tool to increase student accountability -- I could make them watch the video because of the embedded quiz questions. I spent the better part of September retrofitting videos and linking them to the gradebook via the Canvas app.

Then the sad day when Microsoft told me they were discontinuing Mix. While I have migrated the Mix videos to the new Stream platform, the migrated videos do not include the quiz questions. I would think that embedded quiz/poll questions were a popular feature of Mix and that some future iteration of Stream would include these (I have actually contacted one of the Microsoft engineers regarding this issue). Of greater concern is that, even if that functionality is restored, will there be a way of linking these Stream videos with Canvas? That is, is there any talk on the Canvas side of things of making a Stream app that will allow the quiz answers to feed seamlessly into the Canvas gradebook the way they currently do with the Office Mix videos?

Any light you can shed on these issues would be appreciated. Since Office Mix will live to May 1, I can get through my spring courses, but really need to get cracking on making changes to summer and fall sections.

3 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thank you for submitting this idea,  @rsswanson   (and a slightly belated) Welcome to the Canvas Community! You might want to follow and/or participate in some of the conversations in the Community around this topic: 

Retirement of Office Mix: What are the alternatives? 

https://community.canvaslms.com/message/86281-re-is-microsoft-stream-going-to-be-included-in-the-off... 

ChaseBoone
Community Member

Thanks for posting this, Bob!

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived

Thank you for sharing this idea with the Instructure Community!

The Product Team reviewed all feature proposals recently, and unfortunately, this thread was identified as one that they would not be able to include in their current or future plans. While we appreciate your proposal, we also want to be transparent about the likelihood of something like this making it to production.

Thank you for collaborating, and we hope that you submit another idea in the future!