Graded Quizzes: Students view ONLY the questions they missed.

Idea created by Daniel Stewart on Jan 17, 2018
    Open for Voting
    Score15

I am a community college Chemistry instructor who uses Canvas for administering/grading online quizzes (among other things). I have used other course-management software for over a decade and never had the issue I am currently struggling with in Canvas: The ability to have students view only the questions they have missed on the quiz.

Instructors find the feedback students get from seeing what problems they have missed on a quiz as an extremely effective studying tool. However, many of us instructors have limited test-banks of multiple choice questions and cannot afford to have ALL the answers to ALL the quiz problems disclosed to the student after the exam is graded (this likely would lead to sharing/cheating and the inability to give them legitimate multiple attempts at the quiz).

Canvas, of course, has the ability to show ALL the questions and ALL the responses (both correct and incorrect), but this allows the student to obtain what is tantamount to an answer key when they are done taking the quiz. Canvas can also not show anything at all, but this does not help the student know what questions/topics they need to keep studying for their upcoming midterms and provides zero detailed feedback.

I spent quite a bit of time with the Canvas Help Desk, but what basically came out of the conversation is that Canvas has no viable workaround for this issue and that currently there are no plans to implement this type of functionality in their upcoming Quiz 2.0 Platform that is in the works.

The only viable workaround (at least that I can come up with) is to use a paid 3rd party App from a textbook publisher (such as Pearson's "Mastering Chemistry") that has its own quizzing platform. Regrettably, this would bilk thousands of dollars every semester from my students alone, and much more when you consider the student population at large who may be affected. Not only does it seem unfair that students should bear the cost of this technical oversight, but especially here in California with bill SB1359, there is increasing scrutiny upon our colleges to utilize free (or reduced cost) course materials.

"This bill would require each campus of the California Community Colleges and the California State University, and would request each campus of the University of California, to identify in the online version of the campus course schedule its courses that exclusively use digital course materials, as specified, and communicate to students that the course materials for these courses are free of charge and therefore not required to be purchased. By imposing new duties on community college districts, this bill would impose a state-mandated local program. The bill would become operative on January 1, 2018." (Bill Text - SB-1359 Public postsecondary education: course materials. )

Thank you for considering this very important issue. It would seem to me a fairly simple item to fix and not require a huge overhaul of the Canvas system. All that seems to be needed is for a Canvas developer to write the code for a query of which questions were answered incorrectly on a given quiz and then display the results of that query at the end of the quiz (if enabled to do so), right??? It would seem quite simple, really!

Thank you for reading this and for any future responses to this issue.