Submission comments from Group assignments

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

When a student submits an individual paper, my comments to them are displayed right next to the submission and their comments to me are in the same place. When a student submits a group paper my comments are displayed but if they respond to me their comments are not displayed. It is a group submission- they worked on the paper together- the other students and I should be able to see the comment.  If they want to send me a comment privately they can easily do that.

To find their comment I have to get the notification from canvas (or the angry email from the student), go to their grades, find that assignment, look at that comment, then look up which group they are in, open another tab to the assignment to understand how the comment relates to the assignment.  

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-14130-canvas-production-release-notes-2018-02-17 

6 Comments
RobDitto
Community Champion

Voted!  @mary_stansifer ‌, I agree - submission comments on group projects are currently one of the most confusing parts of grading group assignments.

What helps a little at our institution is to educate students on the use of the Send Comment to the Whole Group checkbox in their view of assignment comments (Submission Details).  It's frustrating right now that this checkbox is locked for the instructor in SpeedGrader, but not locked for students on a group submission.  Instructors can only count on seeing individual students' private comments alongside group-wide comments in the Gradebook -- but there are no onscreen cues to sort out which type of comment (private or group-wide) you're reading.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
This idea has been developed and is On Canvas Beta How do I access the Canvas beta environment?

For more information, please read through the Canvas Beta Release Notes (2018-02-06) .

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas 

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2018-02-17) 

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@mary_stansifer  Thank You  for submitting this idea, as well as,  @RobDitto  Thank You  for your contributions. Your investment in this idea helped refine a feature which is now part of Canvas! 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed