Animated Student Awards & Progress (gamification)

Idea created by chase dimarco on Mar 11, 2018
    Open for Voting
    Score6
    • John Dixon
    • John Boekenoogen
    • Joseph Gee
    • Gideon Williams
    • chase dimarco
    • John_Lowe@baylor.edu

I'd like to see a gamification addition for learner avatars that can be "upgraded" as they progress through the course. It's a similar concept to digital badges, but with an increased visual presence. I believe this could really help to engage learners with their progress, and is especially useful for Schools that have multiple courses. Learners could win "awards" and "prizes" that go on their avatar for specified achievements (like Badges), but they may be school specific.

For example, the plan for my school is to make several medical-related courses. In microbiology, the avatar may be able to achieve upgrades in the form of a labcoat, a microscope, lab slides, etc. Then they may enter, for example, our future pharmacology course and gain a prescription pad and other topic-related prizes. 

I thought about adding this in the form of a PowToon animation, in which I could set up a male and female generic avatar and have their prizes "pop" into place on their avatar. However, there would be no way that I can think of to keep continuity between prizes and courses. I'd basically need to make a separate animation for each prize, but they would not be able to see previous prizes.

gamification award