Ability to remove course cards from dashboard without having to leave the dashboard

(1)

I would like a simple way to be able to remove course cards from the dashboard without having to navigate to the Courses tab then locating the course there. I have many courses I'm added to, and sometimes I can recognise the ones I don't need quick access to more easily from the dashboard than from the list of courses. It could be added to the three little dots menu, like in the mock up I've created:

271285_pastedImage_2.png

Thanks!

13 Comments
cholling
Community Champion

LOVE this idea.

ronmarx
Community Contributor

Me too. Like a lot of other design features in Canvas, forcing designers to leave screens actually discourages us from using the feature at all, or makes designing instructional content within Canvas a tedious chore, which it definitely should not be. Life in Canvas should not be about workarounds, it should be 'cool, the Canvas engineers even thought of that!'

ericwerth
Community Explorer

I see the value of being able to remove the cards from the dashboard view.  My only hesitation is that it would create a situation where one could remove cards from the dashboard but need to go somewhere else add them to the dashboard.  I can envision getting calls about how to undo removing a dashboard card and generally prefer to have add and remove capabilities in the same location.

jayde_colquhoun
Instructure
Instructure

I agree with your comment, Eric. It would be great to have remove, but also to add as you suggest.. In it's current design, I've heard countless times of students who have missing courses (it's just in the all courses > un-favourited).. so having an add/ remove function on the same screen is valuable! 

rebecca_goldswo
Community Novice

I agree - being able to add and remove coursecards while in the dashboard view would be great!

julia_wild
Community Novice

Agreed - so maybe in Rebecca's mockup that tick box could read 'display on Dashboard' instead?

bulleraa
Community Novice

I think that being able to remove and add as a students would be fantastic! It honestly drives me nuts that I have classes from 3 different semesters on my dashboard. I only want current ones on there. It would be so helpful to be able to ditch or hide the classes that we are no longer in need of.

ericwerth
Community Explorer

Hi  @bulleraa  and welcome to the Canvas Community!  Thanks for the insight into this feature idea.  Since you talked about having many classes on your dashboard, I wanted to ensure you know that you can hide these now. On a desktop or laptop computer you do this by going to "courses" tab and clicking on "all courses".  Star the courses on this screen you would like to appear on your dashboard and unstar those you would like hidden.  See How do I customize my Courses list as a student? for more information.  On a mobile device, you click on the edit button to select the courses you wish to favorite (see https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-9823-18561188535 for iOS and https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-9765-18555199448 for Android devices).

All the best!

arthur_cammers
Community Novice

Well I was looking for a way to remove a card, now I know I can't and I am a bit bummed about it. I remember being able to do this a while ago. 

ericwerth
Community Explorer

Hi  @arthur_cammers and welcome to the Canvas Community.  Just in case it is helpful, I wanted to be sure you knew that you can hide course cards from the dashboard.  On a desktop or laptop computer you do this by going to "courses" tab and clicking on "all courses". Star the courses on this screen you would like to appear on your dashboard and unstar those you would like hidden. See How do I customize my Courses list as an instructor? for more information. On a mobile device, you click on the edit button to select the courses you wish to favorite (see How do I view Courses in the Teacher app on my iOS device?  for iOS and https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-11893-71082771631 for Android devices.

Best wishes!

arthur_cammers
Community Novice

Got it, thanks

Get Outlook for Android<https://aka.ms/ghei36>

karen_bowden
Community Contributor

Thanks to stefaniesanders‌ for letting me know where to vote this feature up! 

The ability to hide courses directly from the dashboard will make it much easier to manage for all end users. I thought I might be the only one who finds it awkward to have to drill down from Courses to All Courses then scroll and find the course I no longer need nor want on my Dashboard. However, I have had one other "student" mention the lack of this option directly from the Dashboard. (By student I mean another adult learner.)

We're about to go through "that time of year" in our organization when we are required to take multitudes of courses which will all end up on our Dashboards but do not need to remain once they've been taken and/or "passed".

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.