Filtering Calendar Entries for Multi-Section Courses (Teacher View)

Idea created by Gideon Williams on Apr 11, 2018
    Archived
    Score1
    • Gideon Williams

I welcome the recent developments made to enhance the functionality of Sections within a course. The ability to set announcements and now discussions for particular sections within one course is a very good start to the process of creating bespoke learning pathways in large multi-user/multi-use courses. It will hopefully lead to teachers working more collaboratively and making resources available to other groups. This leads me to my idea

As a teacher working in a multiple section course there are limited opportunities for me to filter features that other teachers have added. As an admin, I can restrict teachers to seeing other sections but here is no flexibility to hide/show other features.

The biggest issue we have in large multiple user courses is the overcrowding of the calendar. Teachers see entries given by teachers of other courses and there is currently no way to filter this.

My suggestion is either:

1. To have a filtering option in the calendar that allows you to hide/show the entries for other sections (similar to the Gradebook) 

2. To have a permission feature linked to the Calendar entry (for all calendar features - assignments/quizzes/events etc) that makes the information visible to other teachers. This would have additional benefits if tied to the Gradebook and allowing additional and much needed column filtering.

Developing agile and personalised MOOC style courses is the way to go (IMHO) Ensuring their is flexibility for both students and teachers is critical to this success.