Viewing/Sharing Permissions for Section linked Activities/Features

Idea created by Gideon Williams on Apr 11, 2018
    Open for Voting
    Score1
    • Gideon Williams

I welcome the recent developments made to enhance the functionality of Sections within a course. The ability to set announcements and now discussions for particular sections within one course is a very good start to the process of creating bespoke learning pathways in large multi-user/multi-use courses. It will hopefully lead to teachers working more collaboratively and making resources available to other groups. This leads me to my idea

As a teacher working in a multiple section course there are limited opportunities for me to filter features that other teachers have added. As an admin, I can restrict teachers to seeing other sections but here is no flexibility to hide/show other features.

The biggest issue we have in large multiple user courses is the overcrowding of the calendar. Teachers see entries given by teachers of other courses and there is currently no way to filter this.

My suggestion is:

To have an additional permission feature as part of all calendar based activities: assignments/quizzes/events etc When creating these activities, teachers would have the choice of making the resource visible/accessible to other teachers in other sections.

This would declutter the Calendar meaning that a teacher would only see the items that they have added. There would also be additional benefits as I would assume that if tied to the Gradebook we would stop huge numbers of non relevant  assignments appearing in individual teachers gradebooks and much needed column filtering.

Developing agile and personalised MOOC style courses is the way to go (IMHO) Ensuring their is flexibility for both students and teachers is critical to this success.

PS A simpler feature for just decluttering the Calendar is also available for voting at - https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/11322-filtering-calendar-entries-for-a-multi-section-course-teacher-view