Inactive Links in "Help" Menu

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea will be open for vote May 5 - August 5 Learn more about voting...

36913_Help.jpgHelp.jpg

In the Administrative Pages of Canvas, under Settings >> Settings tab, there is a section called Custom Links to include in the help dialog popup.  In this section, we added our toll-free Canvas Help Desk phone number as a custom link for instructors and students to use.  The issue is that when people click on Help, this row is still clickable...even though it's just displaying a phone number.  When people click on this in the Help menu, a new tab/window opens up displaying Canvas.  I would like to see custom help fields where it would be information only (such as a phone number)...nothing that actually creates an active link in the Help menu.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-10-29)

11 Comments
buddyhall
Community Champion

Why not make it a mobile phone dialer link?  a href="tel:+18005551234"

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

phone.jpg @buddyhall ​... but what would I put in the URL field?  I don't think I can really use HTML code in that box.  How would your suggestion work when viewing the Help menu from a desktop/laptop?  Just curious.

buddyhall
Community Champion

For the URL field, enter:

tel:+18005551234

but put the real number.

It depends on the browser on a desktop or laptop.  Safari on my Mac gives me the option to call from my mobile or add a contact. IE on my Windows machine gives me the option to Call with Lync.  I think it you have Skype installed you also get a option to Call with Skype.  Most modern browsers seem to handle it pretty well.

Test it out on your test instance of Canvas and see if you think it might work for you.  It seems to work well for us.

jordan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

77296_pastedImage_0.png84878_pastedImage_0.png

Panda-Cat: A mythical creature that we dreamed up to catch your attention, make you laugh, and encourage you to keep reading the explanation of our archive process for Feature Ideas

Archive: An archived Feature Idea is not dead forever, but it has been taken out of stage progression.  When Community members submit feature ideas they are reviewed by the Community Team and then put to a vote by the community at large.  If the idea does not receive 100 votes within 3 months it will be archived.  Ideas that reach the 100 vote threshold within the first three months remain open for voting. Find more information about this process at How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

Can archived ideas still become a feature?  Yes.  Some feature ideas that do not receive 100 votes are resubmitted by Community members and find more supporters as people's needs change, rising more quickly to the top.  Oftentimes archived feature ideas are evaluated in groups when we are preparing to refactor a particular tool or feature of Canvas and may still influence product direction.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  This idea has been developed and is On Canvas Beta How do I access the Canvas beta environment?

For more information, please read through the Canvas Beta Release Notes (2016-10-17)

Would you like to discuss this release with other enthusiastic Canvas Admins?  Join the Beta Release Asynchronous Collaborative Chat

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-10-29)

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

ROI.png

Thank you to  @Chris_Hofer  for submitting this idea, as well as,  @buddyhall  for your contributions. Your investment in this idea helped refine a feature which is now part of Canvas! Smiley Happy

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme