Built-in video platform for lecture recordings

Hi everyone

I am a student at The University of Sydney and Canvas was introduced to us this year. 

It was such a great experience for all students. 

I have a suggestion that might be more useful for students especially university students. which is to have a built-it video platform for lecture recordings rather than opening different player within the window of canvas (in this case echo360 player). 

I would suggest the following sketch map of how to access the lecture recording.

- When you open the subject dashboard, you see on the left side of the tool bar an option called "Lecture Recording"

- When you click that option, a new window will show which has all the recordings sorted by Lecture number, week of the lecture and the date of the lecture.

- When you open one of the recording, a player powered by Canvas will load the video. And that player is smooth and easy to use with different tools such as download file,subtitle,jump over, etc. 

Most of universities students have daily access to lecture recordings. why don't we provide them a smooth experience of it via Canvas itself?

Thank you all

3 Comments
kmeeusen
Community Champion

Hi  @hjan2829 , and thank you for submitting this idea!

Canvas does not currently have a native lecture capture tool, although many are available that integrate well within Canvas. Tools such as Panopto, Tegrity, and more. You may perhaps, want to talk to your school's Canvas admins about getting one.

In the meantime, let's see how your idea fares.

Kelley

awilliams
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hello  @hjan2829  Welcometo the Canvas Community! I am thrilled to hear the rollout at University of Sydney went so well and I am glad you have joined us here in the Community. You may be interested in the APAC‌ users group as well.

Kelley is correct that Canvas is designed as an open platform to accommodate various conferencing and recording tools. There is one solution provided within Canvas called Conferences that leverages a tool called bigbluebutton‌. You may also be interested in learning more about a tool called Arc, that leverages existing videos to support student engagement.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.