Restore Quiz Statistics

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas
  Idea will be open for vote May 5th, 2015 - August 5th, 2015  Learn more about voting...

Below is text from a higher education faculty:

Back in February I inquired about improving the Quiz Statistics feedback after my multiple choice exams. It improved subsequently. Now I see item-by-item charts showing how many students answered each choice for each item. And I can download 2 excels, one showing how many students got each question wrong/right, and what each student chose for each item of their randomly generated quiz items.

Previously, the graphs showed me not only how many students made each choice on each item, but it also showed (simply by scrolling over the bar in the graph) WHICH students made each choice. That enabled me to award some extra points each week (15 weeks) in about 10 minutes. As it is now, I have to use the 2 Excel tables plus the bar graphs to figure out what each student put for the frequently incorrectly-answered items. This takes about 30-35 minutes each week. It's tolerable and I can get done what I need to (prior to Instructure's semi-fix of this problem it would have taken well over an hour each week), so I'm OK with this fix.
But I can also say that if they'd left it the way it was the first 2 weeks of this course (before they removed the feature) I could save 20-25 minutes each week, which would be even nicer.

If you think Canvas won't restore the feature the way I used to like it, that's fine. I just wanted to provide this feedback that my concerns were adequately but not completely addressed by their fix.

Comment from Instructure

We have some great news!

Check out the Canvas Production Release Notes (2015-10-10) for more information!

Quizzes

Quiz Question Breakdown by User

When instructors view the breakdown of a quiz question, they can see the number of respondents for each answer choice. This statistic is in addition to the percentage of respondents. Instructors can click the respondents link to view the names of the students who chose each specific answer.

9 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Hi Shannon

This Idea just got upgraded to open for voting in the next voting period - May 5th - August 5th.  The following Doc explains the new voting process!  How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

A00017008
Community Member

I agree with the above post.  As of last fall and earlier one could see which students selected each of several answers on a quiz by simply clicking on each bar in an item depicted in the Quiz Statistics. This made it really easy to discern the students with whom I needed to be in contact (e.g., in order to correct misconceptions about the reading material).  And, BEFORE last fall but not after it, instructors also could click on each bar for an item to discern on which of multiple attempt(s) the student selected a particular answer.   This also was really helpful.

As of this semester, one has to pour over the item and student analyses — a real chore — to determine whether students need feedback.

I realize Canvas relies on 30 or more votes within the community to decide whether to implement a change.  However, I question how representative these votes are, plus a cutoff of 30 seems awfully low given the number of Canvas users.  I sincerely doubt Canvas’s voting system truly attracts even 1% of those who use the system.  Faculty simply don’t have the time to also be perusing and participating in this community to find out which changes are potentially going to be made.  In addition, instead of EMAILING us after the fact (e.g., to try out certain new features and then answer a survey about the change), they should poll users in advance VIA EMAIL about how much they desire proposed changes, making sure that the email’s header clearly depicts the anticipated change.  They obviously have our email addresses, so why not do this?  Yes, the response rate would be low (it always is), but not as low as voting via the community, because the issue would be right there staring them in the face AND if faculty feel really strongly (yea or nay) about an issue, they’d email back.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

77296_pastedImage_0.png84761_pastedImage_0.png

Panda-Cat: A mythical creature that we dreamed up to catch your attention, make you laugh, and encourage you to keep reading the explanation of our archive process for Feature Ideas

Archive: An archived Feature Idea is not dead forever, but it has been taken out of stage progression.  When Community members submit feature ideas they are reviewed by the Community Team and then put to a vote by the community at large.  If the idea does not receive 100 votes within 3 months it will be archived.  Ideas that reach the 100 vote threshold within the first three months remain open for voting. Find more information about this process at How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

Can archived ideas still become a feature?  Yes.  Some feature ideas that do not receive 100 votes are resubmitted by Community members and find more supporters as people's needs change, rising more quickly to the top.  Oftentimes archived feature ideas are evaluated in groups when we are preparing to refactor a particular tool or feature of Canvas and may still influence product direction.

A00017008
Community Member

Because so few people voted on the "Restore Quiz Statistics" feature idea, for which the voting period has expired, I thought it best to let interested parties know that I've reinitiated this request in the form of a new feature idea​ on which the community might like to vote.  I hope I'm not the only one who would tremendously appreciate Canvas restoring instructors' abilities to see which students selected each quiz answer directly within the Quiz Statistics page (instead of needing to download and comb through cumbersome spreadsheets).

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

We have some great news!

Check out the Canvas Production Release Notes (2015-10-10) for more information!

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme