Turnitin Moderated Grading missing Moderate Button, fix or disable option for External Tool

Idea created by Shawn Sumner on Jun 8, 2018
    Open for Voting
    Score3
    • Rob Ditto
    • Natalie Norton
    • Linda J. Lee

PROBLEM: When creating a Turnitin assignment as an “External Tool” and enabling “Moderated Grading” the resulting assignment page is missing the “Moderate” button.

Without a “Moderate” button for the Turnitin assignment, a teacher can’t manage moderation of students and reviewers, which results in the inability to release feedback to students.

NOTE: Any assignment using an “External Tool” won’t be able to properly utilize Moderated Grading because of a lack of the “Moderate” button. The problem will most likely be observed when teachers try to enable multiple reviewers for Turnitin assignments.

SOLUTIONS: Depends whether Moderated Grading can be consistently implemented with External Tools.

• FIX: If an assignment using an External Tool has "Moderated Grading" enabled, please ensure that a "Moderate" button appears on the assignment page.

• DISABLE: If teacher creates an assignment and selects "External Tool" just automatically disable / gray-out the ability to select "Moderated Grading" if it can't be implemented consistently.

Please vote up this idea to raise the awareness of the need for a simple and consistent solution for how the assignment option for "Moderated Grading" should be behave with External Tools such as Turnitin.

IMAGE: Problem with Moderated Grading for External Tools

Comparing a Turnitin assignment without a "Moderate" button, to a regular assignment with a "Moderate" button.

NOTE: Without a "Moderate" button, assignments using External Tools won't be able to follow the intended process to manage student reviewers and releasing feedback to students ( How do I set up a moderated assignment to be graded by multiple reviewers?  )

Workaround: In the meantime until a simple solution is provided for Moderated Grading with External Tools, there is a workaround thanks to contributors on the Canvas Community: How do I release annotations and comments to my students via Speed Grader