Quizzes.Next add IP for testing labs

(5)

In the old quizzes, instructors could select an IP range associated with a testing lab. An admin could give the testing lab a name with the appropriate IP addresses for that lab.

For example: they could click the Find option and select "Testing Center" for IP filter.

Now with quizzes.next, the only option is for the instructor to add a range of IP numbers themselves that they probably won't know or feel comfortable doing.

Can we add that option to select "Testing Center" back to ##quizzes.next‌ ?

Thanks much.Smiley Happy

Leona

7 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thank you for submitting this idea,  @lbarratt1 ‌. The related discussion can be found at https://community.canvaslms.com/message/107923-institutional-ip-address-filter in the Quizzes.Next User Group‌.

lbarratt1
Community Participant

Thank you Stefanie for helping to post this where it is needed. The more votes the better.

I can see where there could be a lot of confusion and errors for faculty having to type in IP ranges instead of just selecting "Testing Lab" like they are used to.

Best,

Leona 🙂

cms_hickss
Community Contributor

Yes, this was just brought to our attention by the people in our two testing labs each that use a pool of 100 IP addresses.

Also, it was mentioned that there is currently no setting for IP restrictions on "view answers" in Quizzes.Next.

kdougherty1
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hello all,

I've responded to the associated discussion (https://community.canvaslms.com/thread/24295-institutional-ip-address-filter ) and am cross-posting here to share the same information.

I think this was not previously acknowledged as a point of consideration for parity and is something that the shift to becoming an LTI tool has made more difficult to overcome. This post has helped start the process of exploring a good solution. This will need to go through the same process as other functionality, so I won't have an update for some time, but this post has gotten my attention.

-

Kevin Dougherty

Assoc. Product Manager, Assessments

Instructure

dbrace
Community Contributor

I am purposefully cross-replying to this. Has any action be taken on this, the ability for a Canvas admin to create allowed IP addresses ahead-of-time in "New Quizzes"/Quizzes.Next?

epulham
Community Contributor

It's almost been a year since a comment was made on this -- we need to have the same IP filter selecting functions as in Classic Quizzes. This is extremely important to not confuse my teachers and to reduce errors in typing -- IP addresses are long!

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.