Allow automatic one-time late deduction in new gradebook

Idea created by David Gray on Aug 27, 2018
    Open for Voting
    Score2
    • James Wallerstedt
    • David Gray

I have a standard 20% deduction for all work submitted late in my classes, whether the work is 5 minutes late or 5 days late. As of right now, the new gradebook that is in beta has an automatic late penalty deduction option, but it is forcing me to select either a percentage deduction each hour OR each day that it is late. So if a paper is 3 hours late and the deduction is set to "For each late hour," then it will amount to a 60% penalty. For an instructor who had only one-time standardized penalties, that is extremely problematic.

It does allow the option of setting the lowest possible grade (which I thought might circumvent the issue addressed above), but that presents its own problems. For example, a student who earns a 9 out of 10 on a quiz that was completed late, should receive a 7 out of 10 after the 20% deduction, but if you set the lowest possible grade to 80% (the equivalent of a 20% deduction), then it will only deduct 1 point (10%) instead of the requisite 2 points because I have set the floor on the overall grade, not the penalty, at 80% of the original.

Please help! :-)