Autosave "additional comments" below a quiz question in SpeedGrader

Idea created by Beth Young on Apr 17, 2015
    In Development
    Score127
      Idea is currently in development

Idea will be open for vote Wed. July 1, 2015 - Wed. October 7, 2015  Learn more about voting...

When moving between student quiz submissions in SpeedGrader (using the left and right arrows at the top), the numerical scores are saved, but the "additional comments" fields below the questions are lost. In order to save these comments, you must click "Update Scores" before switching to another student's submission. (This is all using the "Grade by question (beta)" option -- not sure if that makes a difference.)

I've been told by Canvas Support that this behavior is intentional, but my request is that the "additional comments" fields below the questions be saved, like the numerical scores are, when switching between students, even without clicking the "Update Scores" button. It is quite natural to simply switch to another student when you are done with one, but that simple action erases (potentially) a lot of work commenting on the first student's quiz.

Originally submitted by Ezra Keshet

Also, clicking "update scores" and waiting for the refresh takes a long time. And then you still need to click to the next student and wait for another screen refresh. It would be great if the comments were automatically saved.

Comments from Instructure

April 2016 update from Christi Wruck

Hey all,

This is not on our current roadmap... but I'm going to see what I can do to squeeze in a change to this odd behavior. It's always bugged me and if we can squeeze a small fix to this in, I'd really like to do it. We're looking at auto-saving comments, but not auto-submitting them... there's no way for us to know when you're done writing the comment right now. So we're looking at auto-saving and keeping the auto-saved comment with the student you left it for, while also giving you a gentle reminder that you haven't submitted the comment yet when you navigate away from the current student. I think this is the best we can do without a major re-architecture of things... what do you all think?