Quizzes.Next Points Syncing with Canvas Assignment

Idea created by Stacie Gomm on Aug 29, 2018
    Open for Voting
    Score1
    • Stacie Gomm

Here is my suggestion:  Sync the name in the Quiz setup in Canvas with what is in Quizzes.Next.  Sync the points.  When the name of the quiz changes in Quizzes.Next, send it back to the Quiz Settings.  If the point values differ, either change them to match the actual quiz in Quizzes.Next OR put up a dialog box like with rubrics.

Here is my justification and explanation of the problem.

Quizzes made with Quizzes.Next are considered assignments and show up in the assignment list.  When you create a new Quiz you enter the name and the point values and other settings:  

I then added two questions making my quiz worth 7 points.

AND I want to change the name so I edit the name of the Quiz at the top:

I click the Return button at the top and this is what is shown.

The old name with the old points -- which was 0 in this case.  

Even grades shows that it is 0 points.  

If I click the three vertical dots next to the Quiz and select Edit, I can change them there:

This is even the case when viewing as a student.  I did not use Test Student.  I went in as a real student in the course.  The name in the assignments list was Quiz 2 Practice with no points associated with it.  When I took the quiz as a student, it showed up as Quiz 2 Demonstration.  This could definitely cause issues for students. thinking they are in the wrong place.

As a student I took the quiz and scored full credit:

But because the point values did not match, the one in the "Canvas" settings -- not in Quizzes.Next trumps.  This is my grading showing as a student.

Thus, here is my suggestion:  Sync the name in the Quiz setup in Canvas with what is in Quizzes.Next.  Sync the points.  When the name of the quiz changes in Quizzes.Next, send it back to the Quiz Settings.  If the point values differ, either change them to match the actual quiz in Quizzes.Next OR put up a dialog box like with rubrics.